Forgot Password?

Merchandise

N.E.R.V. Fleet for Star Trek Online

Discusson of Age of Titans for Star Trek Online

Moderator: Talus

N.E.R.V. Fleet for Star Trek Online

Postby Talus » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:11 pm

Greetings Cadets!

First let me welcome you to the recruitment office for N.E.R.V. it is a pleasure to see you all here

Now you may be wondering why you have been sent for, well lets just say, i have an opportunity for you all.

I am Vice Admiral Shas'Oran, Fleet Admiral of N.E.R.V.

Nearly 3 years ago, i created N.E.R.V., then operating under the title of The Vanguard Federation, as a meeting place for cadets just like yourselves, who seek adventure with minimal restraints.

Unfortunately in recent months, our numbers have dimished for one reason or another, but i come here to offer you the chance to join up! To help make N.E.R.V. what it once was! a thriving fleet filled with members who work together!

I offer you the chance to work with some of Starfleets finest, to take the fight to those who threaten our way of life and help those in need!

what will this cost you? not a thing, we have no requirements of you other than team work, but should you want to submit resources to further the fleet, you're more than welcome to! Anything you submit will be used to further improve our starbase, increase its functionality and provide a hub for all of our members to meet up, share some laughs and re-arm for the fight ahead.

For those of you who have fallen asleep, here are the bullet points of what we offer, and what we ask of you

1: Team work, work with other members of the fleet in starbase defence missions, special task forces and should they require it, assistance leveling lower characters
2: Humor! you won't get far in this fleet without a sense of humor
3: Resources, Anything you can submit towards improving the starbase, whether its dilithium, fleet marks or cashing in some duty officers that no longer serve a purpose with you, everything is welcome!
4: Fun!! By far this is the most important part, have fun! if you cant have fun doing it, it's not worth doing!

now in case you're sitting there scratching your head wondering what the hell im on about, this is a blatant plug for my fleet in Star Trek Online, we need members... badly...

pm or post here if you're interested

Timewizard runs the U.S side of things, so you wont be left out :)
Last edited by Talus on Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Talus
Sir Hack'n'Slash!
Chief Justice

Medals: 25
Anvil's Hammer - 3rd Place (1) Gold (3) Silver (3) Bronze Wreath (1) Bronze (5)
Painting Entrant (12)

Re: N.E.R.V.

Postby killmaimburn » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:45 pm

Talus wrote:now in case you're sitting there scratching your head wondering what the hell im on about, this is a blatant plug for my fleet in Star Trek Online, we need members... badly...

Could you just clarify, is this a free to play, pay for assets multiplayer online game and your guild needs bumping up for a starbase (like flying airships in DDO etc) and you and TW are the guild mods/officers /whatever

Or is it a more small thing hosted by your guys text driven RPG run by you and timewizard?
Do you guys have a standard time when most of your guild are on (e.g. thursday mornings GMT)..no fun MMOing when everyone else is off.
Any specifics when making a character, do we have to have completed XYor Z to interact on the same server.Are you desperately in need of a class, e.g.medic ship or something.

I might be able to put in a few hours a week if its an easy pick up.

(Edit is there a sweet spot where you get "small guild" bonus for doing everything you do, but only with 5 or 6 people.. that you'll lose with 7 or 8?..in ddo 50 points becomes 200 with small guild/fleet status)
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby timewizard » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:55 pm

It is free to play, Talus will post the link!

Between the two of us, and thanks to the time zone difference, we can get cooperative games going at convenient hours. DOn't think you have to commit to a huge number of play hours, we're just looking for some players to join the fleet that we know aren't complete idiots or screw ups.

That's why we thought to throw this on here, we know that you lot are into playing games for fun, and arent a bunch of jack-a$$es looking to throw a monkey wrench into some elses's fun!

I haven't palyed star trek online nearly as long as Talus, but i still have managed to achieve the rank of vice admiral, have a pretty cool ship, and the two of us have managed to get a fleet starbase off the ground (as it were!)

So if you want to get into sto a bit, it is really a lot more fun if you are in a fleet. You can chat privately with your fleet mates, trade items with each other, fight together in battles, etc.

So give it a try, looking forward to some new admirals!
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Medals: 11
Gold Wreath (1) Gold (1) Silver Wreath (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Talus » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:07 pm

see this is why i wanted to hire a PR guy to promote the fleet, but noooo the admin office tells me there isnt enough credits in the fleet bank to cover it!

you're right though, i probably should have said more about the game itself

its Star Trek Online http://sto.perfectworld.com/

its now free to play, but should you desire it there are micro transactions for new ships, uniforms etc

everything CAN be earned in game though, just takes a little longer

TW is effectively my second in command now, the others in there dont play very often, so recently its just been us holding things together, hence the desperate recruitment drive

as far as our online times go, he's US, im UK, but once we get more members in, having someone there shouldnt be an issue

character creation, thats a good one i should have mentioned, there are quite a few races available when starting out, human, vulcan, trill, bajoran, ferengi etc and then there is ''alien'' where you make your own species, all races are available to each job path (science engineering and tactical) and most come in male and female (certain Klingon Defence Force races dont have female options)

of course making a klingon character (who works for the KDF) should be mentioned, but screw those Pe'Taqs im recruiting for a Federation fleet :P

once you're through the tutorial you're into the main server, in fact unless you're signed up for the test server, there is only one server (referred to as Holodeck) so you're free to join up with a fleet (pick mine pick mine!) and get leveling

the game play follows a few story arcs, but there are quite a few side missions that you find on your own, like say... visiting a planet at random will find you a patrol mission for it, sadly those patrols cant be repeated, but the genesis system they have, exploration clusters off the main sector blocks, have random encounters in different settings

then there is the Foundry where you can create your own missions, for a free player i believe the number of missions you can make is restricted, i dont know for sure, and there are literally thousands of missions made by other people, some in fact are better than those made by the developers!

and lastly, sadly there isnt a small guild bonus, in fact despite promises that small fleets will be able to make full use of the starbase projects and features, they are yet to fulfill that promise and the starbase features are geared towards larger fleets.
Talus
Sir Hack'n'Slash!
Chief Justice

Painting Entrant (12)

Postby Stryder » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:54 pm

if this is STO then send me a pm and ill send you my char names so i can join :)
Stryder

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Talus » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:02 pm

PM Sent
Talus
Sir Hack'n'Slash!
Chief Justice

Painting Entrant (12)

Postby Cain Tiberius » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:40 pm

I tried STO out before it became F2P but didn't really get into it despite being a big Trek fan. I did play Cryptic's other MMO game 'Champions Online' for quite a while, reaching max level etc.

Currently I have no way of playing, but if you're still around when I do get a PC/laptop sorted, I'll give you a shout.

Nathanael
My BA Blog

Semper Fidelis
Cain Tiberius
Enforcer
Enforcer

Medals: 12
Gold (2) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (8)
Blog: View Blog (36)

Postby timewizard » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:03 pm

Cain Tiberius wrote:Currently I have no way of playing, but if you're still around when I do get a PC/laptop sorted, I'll give you a shout.

Nathanael

Hopefully we'll still be around! ;)

I never tried champions, but Talus did (or still does).

Once you decode to come aboard, you'll be more than welcome to join the fleet!
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Medals: 11
Gold Wreath (1) Gold (1) Silver Wreath (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Talus » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:41 pm

yeah im still in champions, part of the XIII supergroup

just look for the 7ft guy in Powered armor wielding a pair of oversized pistols :P

Cain, you're always welcome to join up, i'll even hold a space open for you!
Talus
Sir Hack'n'Slash!
Chief Justice

Painting Entrant (12)

Postby ruffian4 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:52 am

timewizard wrote:we're just looking for some players to join the fleet that we know aren't complete idiots or screw ups.

Why oh why oh why, do I get the impression that KMB and I would get bumped off on our first away mission?
"OOOOh, so brave to leap into that acid pit, whoever they were."
killmaimburn wrote:If this is a masked ball, then the other bits of him are off spiking the teachers punch.

DEATH WATCH DEATH RATTLE DEATHS DOOR AINT I DIED ENOUGH BEFORE?
ruffian4
4th dan imbecile
Sorceror

Re: N.E.R.V. Fleet for Star Trek Online

Postby killmaimburn » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:34 am

Acting first petty officer kmbopheliax reporting for duty.
They thought.... myshirtwasredbut.. actually............. itwasyellowand.... justdrippingwith.....bloodfromformerconquests(?) .Unfortunately I must still go through all the Will Wheaton nova squadron guff, as they appear to have lost my excellant flight record as both killmaimburn and ophliax elsewhere in the galaxy..So many starfleet recruits who have my name. My recruitment officer just smushed my names together:cry:
Unfortunately due to an unfortunate transporter accident,the signal being disturbed by a binary star system and the chief engineer of my last ship reversing polarity and flying backwards into a warp anomaly to avoid attack..I have no idea what I will look like after I've spent a while in the medibay being reconstructed.

Peeps downloading this on the back of this thread should know that the download uses panda media booster, which is a craptastic piece of crap as soon as you have downloaded the V large files that do need some assistance..kill panda media booster with fire.
This does not reflect on the game itself in any way(which I haven't tried yet)..its just the way the install files get to your computer are a bit like the crap old version of Iplayer and continually send stuff out and drain resources until you actively stop it.
(I'd totally forgotten about that when I did it)
Normally its safe to remove without disturbing the game in any way.
(You must now type like shatner)
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Postby Cain Tiberius » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:03 am

This is true. When I had the game ages ago, took me 2 days to download it, and that was with decent broadband. But the game itself plays well enough. I didn't notice much if any lag.

Thank you Talus, but I donno how long that'll be. So if space is limited, you don't need to save me anything.
My BA Blog

Semper Fidelis
Cain Tiberius
Enforcer
Enforcer

Medals: 12
Gold (2) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (8)
Blog: View Blog (36)

Postby korsarro » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:33 am

even that i love star trek WOW is still the way forwards and their is a new game on the up the secret world sorry guys
Tonight is going to be legen.....wait for it
korsarro
Initiate
Initiate

Postby killmaimburn » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:52 am

Ok I'm installed (and uninstalled panda V easily).
Char creation.. good grief, the forums (which aren't very busy) basically say ask your fleet.
So had a quick peep here http://stobuilds.com/
I'm intrigued by the sci advanced doctor build, and by the engineer/dwarf.. but I have a bunch of questions.

Paging counsellor troi.
I was burnt on DDO by putting a bunch of stuff in elf thief acrobat and then finding out nothing actually required stealth sneak a pair of gloves would find hidden stuff and all I lost was the ability to disable (not very well) traps my level 8 needed to rely on other people at level 3 to tank for me and I couldn't solo. (replayed a few months worth and now my human fighter lev 6 can do everything my lev8 thief could and more)
So if I pour stuff into some betazoid will I find that intuition actually has no in game effect, or is it a reflex save big math deal.
What is in the game, and what isn't. Is there something inherently far too good (e.g. human versatility hotkeys, khopeshes throwing out unmodded critical all the timeetc,is there a 300 things noobs should know about the game but don't sticky (for me DDO changed radically when I found I could hotkey toggle something that tripped smashed enemies armour.. but that was after silly amounts of background reading)
Show me a build path for a solo noob(inc race and job), which will also assist you lot a bit even if only redshirt.
(Ok so maybe I'm far too OCD, but I hate having to make the bigger decisions when I'm at the stage of least informed)
Barely even lurking..
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Postby Talus » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:32 am

korsarro wrote:even that i love star trek WOW is still the way forwards

CALL THE INQUISITION! THIS GUY NEEDS PURGING!

anyway, KMB, the traits you pick for your character actually have a minimal effect on performance, though some are activatable skills for some races (eg: nerve pinch for vulcans) there are skill tree's for science engineering and tactical that increase your performance (increase damage from space weapons, increased power output from your warp core etc) and grant you new abilities

i have a pretty decent tactical build (but if you've seen a good one on that link you posted, go for it, ive never used that site myself) that myself and TW use, i can forward it on to you if you wish

i'd recommend my science build, but i do believe i buggered him up, and i just cant be arsed to retrain him :P
Talus
Sir Hack'n'Slash!
Chief Justice

Painting Entrant (12)

Next

Return to Age of Titans

Social Links