Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

40k, who stuck with it?

Discussion of anything 40K related

Re: 40k, who stuck with it?

Postby markb » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:56 pm

Niki, I know its you I was just saying that Ian and Simon, despite many years of playing, never managed to seem to get a decent list together! :)

I do understand that it is to address balance issues (probably in the main caused by allowing Matt Ward to write Codexes) but I would have preferred a slightly more fluffy approach, after all is not one of the mottoes of the SM Trust Not the Alien?
"The guns have stopped because we are at last about to attack. Even our generals aren't mad enough to shell their own men, they think its far more sporting to let the Germans do it!"

Capt Edmund Blackadder, the Somme, 1917.

markb
Captain
Captain

Location: On a high plains desert somewhere near Uzbekistan, lets leave it at that
Medals: 1
Painting Entrant (1)

Postby skywalker » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:07 pm

Mark, I had some reasonable lists that I have enjoyed using, although I have suffered from crap dice, and yes Mark we still have your set of dice you threw in the bin preserved at the club :D . The main reason of my falling out is the 50% price rise in the main things you need for the game, the books. GW produce fantastic miniatures but I object to such a large price jump 10% to 20% I could live with but 50% IMO is taking the mick :roll:
skywalker
Cannon Fodder

Postby markb » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:17 pm

Ian, I was only having a bit of fun, most of you lists were usually good but you have got to be the worst dice roller I have ever seen! :). I agree with the price rises issue. When the Orc and Goblin book came out, last year I think?, a box of Boyz went from £18 for 19 models to £18 for 10 and they were the same models! GF does mitigate this price rise to some extent but yeas, the prices are getting a bit insane. That's why the new DA army I'm going to be working on will be based on the models from the DV box and what I've got lying around that I never got round to building/painting for my SM army. I should only have to buy a few things, admittedly this may mean that my army is pants but these days I just want to enjoy a good game with mates, long gone are my days of wanting to go to the GT every year.

As to them dice, you can keep them!
"The guns have stopped because we are at last about to attack. Even our generals aren't mad enough to shell their own men, they think its far more sporting to let the Germans do it!"

markb
Captain
Captain

Location: On a high plains desert somewhere near Uzbekistan, lets leave it at that
Painting Entrant (1)

Postby Darklighter » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:12 pm

@Mark ahh that makes more sense. My fault been getting things ready for a party tomorrow for the little ones first my minds not totally focused!
What, no image sigs!
Darklighter
Shas'el
Shas'el

Medals: 19
Gold (3) Silver (2) Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (13)

Postby mattjgilbert » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:31 pm

@markb Mantic will be moving warpath away from KoW in space, both in terms of game play and in terms of fluff/imagery. They are going to move more towards hard sci-fi and away from fantasy in space. They are well aware the abstract nature of WP v1 was not the way to go and WP2 is a totally different focus.
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby markb » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:57 pm

Matt, I'll have to take your word for that as I haven't looked at the v2 tbh. Maybe if they go the way you are suggesting then I might have another look but as I said, working away I don't get to play that much so I have to be fairly selective as to what games I do play, this means that if I want games then I have to play whatever is popular at the Raiders, which is FoW, 40K and maybe WFB. I haven't seen anybody there playing Mantic products. And as I keep saying I'm not sold on the models either.

markb
Captain
Captain

Painting Entrant (1)

PostThis post was deleted by BANE on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:37 pm.

Postby skywalker » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:17 pm

Mark B I know you were pulling my leg, I have known you long enough to see that.
It wil be one of those debates which wil never end, GW won't change their prices now as they have too much to loose and being governed by that evil group (shareholders) :twisted: does not help your average hobbyist
skywalker
Cannon Fodder

Postby Baragash » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:37 pm

If I had £1 for every time someone blamed GW (or most other company's behaviour) on shareholders I'd have bought GW myself. Several times over.

Shareholders (generally*) have little or no control over how a company is run, unless they happen to own 50%+/75%+ of the shares in the company (in which case they can control various corporate votes depending on which type of resolution it is).

*Or more importantly, the ones that do happen to also be the directors of the company. Rewarding directors with shares is considered good coporate governance, but ofc that assumes that share price maximising decisions (in the interest of shareholding directors) coincide with long/medium/short - term profit maximisation (in the interests of outside shareholders, risk profile dependent).

tl;dr - directors are almost always to blame, not shareholders (unless they are also directors).
My Hobby Blog!
My Painting & Modelling Blog!
Gallery
"The Emperor is obviously not a dictator, he's a couch."
Starbuck: "Why can't we use the starboard launch bays?"
Engineer: "Because it's a gift shop!"
Baragash
Sorceror
Sorceror

Blog: View Blog (21)

Postby BANE » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:37 pm

Hey I am a GW shareholder!
BANE
Captain
Captain

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Stryder » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:41 pm

Bara all companies have shareholders who give the company moneyin exchange for a share of thr profits and to keep that money rolling in they have to keep them happy so if they arent happy about it they make point of telling the company that they need to do something to keep the shareholders interest so dont tell me they have no influence on the company
Stryder

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby BANE » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:47 pm

In this case (and I would say many others) your wrong and bara is right, GW is run by the directors, I have been a shareholder since 90s when I bought all mine and others that didn't want them staff options, I have never been asked how the company should be ran.
BANE
Captain
Captain

Postby BANE » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:50 pm

I also had shares in man utd pre glazers and fergie never once asked me what tactics to play or who to sub! A big mistake on his part I believe cos I am really good at football manager!
BANE
Captain
Captain

Postby markb » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:59 pm

I have to agree with Stryder, although a shareholder may not have any direct influence over a company, if they are not getting the returns on their investment then they will sell those shares, if too many shareholders sell their shares, share prices go down, the company is seen to be in trouble as a result of this and at worst go into liquidation. To keep the shareholders happy a company has to turn a good profit. That's not to say that if GW didn't have shareholders they still wouldn't charge prices equivalent to a small third world countries national debt.

markb
Captain
Captain

Painting Entrant (1)

Postby Stryder » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:50 pm

they have shareholder meetings (and if you dont go to them then you cant really say anything about it) and they discuss about the profits, costs pretty much anything that could directly effect their own money which they have invested so if they decide that for continued investment they advise a price rise the company will more than likely put up prices to keep them happy
Stryder

Blog: View Blog (4)

PreviousNext

Return to 40K Discussion

Social Links