Login

Username:

Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

psychic powers what?

Discussion of rules in Warhammer 40K - use for existing rules only, for discussing new rules or changes/alternatives use the Rules Development forum

Moderator: mattjgilbert

psychic powers what?

Postby ruffian4 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:54 am

I thought that the choice of psychic powers was EITHER from the codex, or from the book. This seems to be backed up in the faqs (cor blimey missus).
Yet, with chaos, there is a stipulation, that a saucepot with the mark of zorro, must take at least one power from the mark of zorro list. :?: :?:
killmaimburn wrote:If this is a masked ball, then the other bits of him are off spiking the teachers punch.

DEATH WATCH DEATH RATTLE DEATHS DOOR AINT I DIED ENOUGH BEFORE?
ruffian4
4th dan imbecile
Sorceror

Re: psychic powers what?

Postby Baragash » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:48 am

Codex > rulebook.

Besides, it's not unusual for Chaos wizards/psykers to be forced into their own deck, but having released a load of new powers I think GW reached a good compromise by not restricting CSM players to Chaos powers.
My Hobby Blog!
My Painting & Modelling Blog!
Gallery
"The Emperor is obviously not a dictator, he's a couch."
Starbuck: "Why can't we use the starboard launch bays?"
Engineer: "Because it's a gift shop!"
Baragash
Sorceror
Sorceror

Blog: View Blog (21)

Postby KInG » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:01 pm

evening... DA Ezeikiel also says, he has mindworm from codex book and picks two more from rulebook.

So unless stated otherwise, you pick from codex or RB. Was that what you were looking for?
www.GamingFigures.com & http://www.AgeofStrife.com 15% off GW models 10% off FoW & GF9 - extra 1% off orders £100+ & 2% off orders £250+ with FREE UK SHIPPING now added
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Medals: 2
Painting Entrant (2)

Postby mattjgilbert » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:02 pm

Who's this KInG guy who has turned up on the forums?
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby killmaimburn » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:24 pm

what baragash said, but also one of the interesting things in new codexs is codex powers are almost the new tax ' your mastery level eleventy but you don't get that many rolls', if you take a chaos mark for your sorceror =tax, mind worm is quite good, but its not tailor for your game to max out on x good.
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby ruffian4 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:07 pm

The reason I asked (at the time) was because of ...
"You can mix and match disciplines across your army.
For example, if a space marines army had two librarians, one could use the powers from c:sm and the other could generate them from the rulebook."

In terms of csm, the only "new" book at that time, we had ...
"Any model with psychic powers may use thye psychic disciplines found in the () rulebook instead of those in c:csm. If he does so, for each power he has purchased from c:csm, generate a new power from the (list of disciplines)."

This ^ was then backed up by the then current faq (as I recall) to mean either/or.
killmaimburn wrote:If this is a masked ball, then the other bits of him are off spiking the teachers punch.

ruffian4
4th dan imbecile
Sorceror

Postby KInG » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:49 pm

So anyone could use powers from any other armies codex. Is that what you mean? Or was that a type: Sm and then csm. .

I must have read as intended I think. Either a power from my dex or from the rb. There was no powers in da dex to be chosen so I had no issue with what I could do.
www.GamingFigures.com & http://www.AgeofStrife.com 15% off GW models 10% off FoW & GF9 - extra 1% off orders £100+ & 2% off orders £250+ with FREE UK SHIPPING now added
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby ruffian4 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:29 pm

No, you have the powers in your codex and limited access to the disciplines in the rulebook.
When 6th ed came out and this was supported by the then current faqs, you could purchase psy powers from your codex and then swap those, for rolls on the disciplines that were available.
It was either/or.

So, say a farseer with 2 powers chosen from the codex, could swap them both from eldar available disciplines from the rulebook or keep them, no mixing between the two.

C:csm came out and stipulated you have to purchase at least 1 power from whichever mark you had, implying choice if you had mastery level 2/+.

That seemed an anomoly then, now it seems the way they want it, despite the rulebook.

ruffian4
4th dan imbecile
Sorceror

Postby mattjgilbert » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:46 am

So you either choose them all the codex OR all from the rulebook.

Except CSM who must choose at least one of their power and then for the rest, the above rule applies.

?
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby KInG » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:43 am

Da Ezekiel gets one always: mindworm, and then two more from rb. Other Libby's get there's from rb.
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby ruffian4 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:58 pm

mattjgilbert wrote:So you either choose them all the codex OR all from the rulebook.
?

That's how it is according to the rules.

mattjgilbert wrote:Except CSM who must choose at least one of their power and then for the rest, the above rule applies.

And now the da, too.

It seems that codex design either willfully goes roughshod over the rules, or its a clanger.

ruffian4
4th dan imbecile
Sorceror

Postby Baragash » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:16 pm

Ruffian you seem to expect an over-riding consistency in the design of various aspects between the Codices.

Surely you know better by now :P
My Hobby Blog!
My Painting & Modelling Blog!
Gallery
"The Emperor is obviously not a dictator, he's a couch."
Starbuck: "Why can't we use the starboard launch bays?"
Engineer: "Because it's a gift shop!"
Baragash
Sorceror
Sorceror

Blog: View Blog (21)

Postby killmaimburn » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:24 pm

old codex where you could pick stuff, sticking plaster over it(to ever so slightly tone it down). new codex designed to work with this rulebook in new way= the new norm, I really can't claim to know outright (if eldar comes out with a wargear 5th ed style powers page somebody laugh and point at me) ;)
obviously best would be rebooting all codex psychic powers within the rulebook...but that has the potential for so much gw bad wording terrible I must go and bleach my brain
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby ruffian4 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:42 am

Baragash wrote:Ruffian you seem to expect an over-riding consistency in the design of various aspects between the Codices.

Surely you know better by now :P

I stopped learning stuff when I discovered chilli.
I mean what's the point?

ruffian4
4th dan imbecile
Sorceror

Return to 40K Rules

Social Links