Login

Username:

Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

Rule/Grammer question.

Discussion of rules in Warhammer 40K - use for existing rules only, for discussing new rules or changes/alternatives use the Rules Development forum

Moderator: mattjgilbert

Rule/Grammer question.

Postby BANE » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:37 pm

So the DA special grenades which are blast weapons have a special rule that goes like this " Every model in a unit hit by this grenade is -1T blah blah".

My question is, is the sentence stating that every model is effected or just the models hit?
BANE
Captain
Captain

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Rule/Grammer question.

Postby killmaimburn » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:53 pm

---Not an answer--
Tricky, rad grenades in grey knight codex clearly effect whole unit (p61)
Things I note..
1) you just have to hit not wound (with a blast marker).
2) its worded exactly the same way as the stasis shell (same page as rad "SHELL" which cannot cause any direct harm
Gut is thinking just those under the template.. but no idea on the rather good grammer question.
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Postby Baragash » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:30 am

The whole unit.
My Hobby Blog!
My Painting & Modelling Blog!
Gallery
"The Emperor is obviously not a dictator, he's a couch."
Starbuck: "Why can't we use the starboard launch bays?"
Engineer: "Because it's a gift shop!"
Baragash
Sorceror
Sorceror

Blog: View Blog (21)

Postby mattjgilbert » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:11 pm

I agree - it's the whole unit. Otherwise the reference to unit is redundant and the sentence would simply be "Every model hit by this grenade is -1T"
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby ruffian4 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:35 pm

Agreed, the whole unit has been hit.
The only way I can read it otherwise, is x models get hit, so may tip the balance of maj toughness, but that would make no sense in this context.
killmaimburn wrote:If this is a masked ball, then the other bits of him are off spiking the teachers punch.

DEATH WATCH DEATH RATTLE DEATHS DOOR AINT I DIED ENOUGH BEFORE?
ruffian4
4th dan imbecile
Sorceror

Postby BANE » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:00 am

Makes sense, cheers.

Follow up question, power of the machine spirit allows you to fire one more weapon than normal at normal BS, additionally it allows you to shoot a different target to the rest of the shooting.

So if I fire all my weapons at a ground target but use PoMS to fire one weapon at a flyer, what do I hit the flyer on? (Stormraven BS4)

And what's the score for the other way round, firing all weapons at a flyer using my Stormravens skyfire rule (Flyer ability) but use PoMS to shoot a ground target?
BANE
Captain
Captain

Postby killmaimburn » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:34 am

First bits easy.. p81 on shooting at flyers-hard to hit.
"*shots* resolved at a zooming flyer can only be resolved as snap shots",so whilst they unnecessarily love the word resolve (new tau codex has some awesome words in V lovecraft in their repetition),on the shots that you fired at the flyer have the BS lowered/effected by whatever ruleset thingy your applying.

EDit Oh hang on are you asking whether POTMS overides the to hit nerf??? It doesn't matter what your BS is.. when you fire it you become as if BS 1 for resolution of shots aimed at flyer, after modifiers and gumph..

Edit edit Oh hang on you have skyfire.. you ignore all the above and just read the skyfire sentance,.
edit edit edit ..oh fudge.. your question made me read backwards.

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIt..
FAQ
"Q: Can the BS1 of a Snap Shot ever be modified by special rules that modify the BS of a model’s Shooting attack (such as Tau
markerlights, Space Marine Signums or Sergeant Telion’s Voice of Experience)? (p13)
A: No.."
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Postby BANE » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:03 am

Not sure if there is an answer in there :-) To clear up my question its about the flyer rules really, at the start of the shooting phase if you are operating as a flyer you can choose weather to fire usingthe skyfire rule or not ( if your hovring you ddon't have skyfire as you become a skimmer) if you choose to use skyfire (or not ) all weapons have ( don't have ) the rule.

So if I fire all my weapons at a ground target whilst flying (not using skyfire) but i fire one weapon at a flyer using PotMS, so am I back to normal BS or is it a snap shot?
BANE
Captain
Captain

Postby killmaimburn » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:12 am

Right.. you are a flyer..
You are shooting at aerial targets.. you save one shot to shoot at a ground target.having enacted Skyfire rule, you may only fire snap shots at the ground targets.. POTMS makes you shot BS higher.. but then regardless of being raised the nature of the shot locks it as BS1.. (as per the FAQ)
Barely even lurking..
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Postby BANE » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:50 am

Cool, cheers.

What happens if I jink and now can only snap fire next turn, does PotMS allow me to fire at normal BS? It seems a similar question but what I am thinking is if the answer is the same where does PotMS fire at normal BS come into play, because if you play both these situations as above I can't think of any other situation where you could use the normal BS
BANE
Captain
Captain

Postby killmaimburn » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:02 am

Your right, basically flyers are too good.. so the rule is ALMOST redundant and prior to the FAQ a lot of people were arguing that raw it must work inspite of itself..
Now you just have to accept that being able to move 50"s and still fire 4 weapon systems (at whatever you choose with no penalty..LH only recently brought back horrible memorys of that 'oh yeah ignore cruising speed rules' sentance)..+POTMS only allows you to fire at a separate target (and if you choose a different height you don't unlock all the bag of awesome).

Do i make that appear I'm crying a river?? - meh stormtalons didn't deserve a punch as much as vendettas.
'A snap shot can never be modified'
Barely even lurking..
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Postby BANE » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:44 am

Fair do's, thanks for input.
BANE
Captain
Captain

Return to 40K Rules

Social Links