Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

jlong05's CP Lists

Post your army lists here!

jlong05's CP Lists

Postby jlong05 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:07 am

OK. I have never played and CP, but have read on it and think I may want to start as it would appear I could get a lot more gaming in as they look to be shorter in time commitments. As such, I plan to post up my CP lists here for critique and review. Please let me know if I am making any serious mistakes and also how fun you think the list will be.

First up - Tau:

CP1.

Firewarrior - 8 (Shas'ui, 4 carbines, 4 rifles, emp, photon) Shas'ui (ML and HW TL)

Sniper Drone Team (Controller and 3 drones)

Vespid Stingwings (10 w/ Strain Leader)

Model count: 22. Pts: 383.

CP2.

Firewarrior - 8 (Shas'ui, 4 carbines, 4 rifles, emp, photon) Shas'ui (ML and HW TL)

StealthSuits - 6(4 burst, 2 fusion)

Model count: 18. Pts: 401.

I started with Tau as I have a plethora of left over figures with which to create CPs from. C&C welcome.
Last edited by jlong05 on Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.

jlong05
Master Jedi
Commander

Medals: 2
Painting Entrant (2)

Re: jlong05's CP Lists

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:59 am

jlong05 wrote:CP1.

Vespid Stingwings (10 w/ Strain Leader)

Model count: 22. Pts: 383.

CP2.

StealthSuits - 6(4 burst, 2 fusion)

Model count: 18. Pts: 401.

these both remind me a little of the Tau list i am building:

Firewarriors: 4 w/Rifles, Leader w/Rifle, ML, HWTL, HWMT, EMP, Knife.
Sniper Drone Team
Stealth Suits: 3 w/burst, 6 Gundrones
Gundrone Squadron: 6 Drones

ive never actually used Tau myself, and ive never faced them in CP (only in 1000+ pts), but i think they should be interesting: a mix of weapons, ranges, effects, stand and shoot and J-S-J. :)

onto your lists:
- Stealths: i dont think you need those Fusion Guns. with no 2+ Saves and no Vehicle with an AV higher than 12, i dont think there is much call for them. even w/S5 you will be able to tackle most Vehicles from the front, and if you come up against a Devilfish or Chimera you just have to get into the side arc (shouldnt be hard w/J-S-J). the Sniper Team can take out AV12 from the front anyway. also, have you considered some ablative wounds (in the form of Drones) in your Stealth unit, so you dont lose expensive Suits straight away (and Mixed Armour lets you put AP2-3 wounds on the Drones instead of the suits)? to give your force more flexibility, you might want to consider splitting the unit into 2 smaller ones, too.

- Fire Warriors: are you sure you want the Carbines in there? not that i think there is anything wrong with them in general, its just that (a) you have the Stealths for mobile firepower in that range bracket and (b) you'l want to get the most out of the Markerlight. have you considered a Bonding Knife?

- Vespids: ive never seen these in action. my only real concern is the lack of J-S-J.

all theory of course (well, mixed with my experience of facing such units in bigger games, and of CP in general). hope that helps, mate :)

~ Tim
8O :D OMG - Im a Dad - of THREE!! :D 8O
:) I am "LMTRK" on The Wizards Community and MTG Salvation
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General

Postby jlong05 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:11 pm

LordMalekTheRedKnight wrote:these both remind me a little of the Tau list i am building:

Firewarriors: 4 w/Rifles, Leader w/Rifle, ML, HWTL, HWMT, EMP, Knife.
Sniper Drone Team
Stealth Suits: 3 w/burst, 6 Gundrones
Gundrone Squadron: 6 Drones

Interesting how minds think alike. Although I think you may have an error. Isn't the min size on a Firewarrior squad 6? Your team only has 5.

LordMalekTheRedKnight wrote:ive never actually used Tau myself, and ive never faced them in CP (only in 1000+ pts), but i think they should be interesting: a mix of weapons, ranges, effects, stand and shoot and J-S-J. :)

Well, I have both faced and played Tau, but never in CP. I think CP may be more fun for me and my friends as its playable in such a short period of time. I will have to see how well other rule sets fit in with CP as well as I like COD also.

Pardon my ignorance. What is J-S-J?

LordMalekTheRedKnight wrote:onto your lists:
- Stealths: i don't think you need those Fusion Guns. with no 2+ Saves and no Vehicle with an AV higher than 12, i don't think there is much call for them. even w/S5 you will be able to tackle most Vehicles from the front, and if you come up against a Devilfish or Chimera you just have to get into the side arc (shouldn't be hard w/J-S-J). the Sniper Team can take out AV12 from the front anyway. also, have you considered some ablative wounds (in the form of Drones) in your Stealth unit, so you don't lose expensive Suits straight away (and Mixed Armour lets you put AP2-3 wounds on the Drones instead of the suits)? to give your force more flexibility, you might want to consider splitting the unit into 2 smaller ones, too.

This is true. I seriously thought about not including them and now I have some solid reasons why. I was mainly trying to maximize my AP3 or better weapons. I don't have my Tau codex here now, but is the Burst Cannon AP3?

LordMalekTheRedKnight wrote:- Fire Warriors: are you sure you want the Carbines in there? not that i think there is anything wrong with them in general, its just that (a) you have the Stealths for mobile firepower in that range bracket and (b) you'll want to get the most out of the Markerlight. have you considered a Bonding Knife?

So it would sound as the rifles would be better giving me more range. I was thinking the pinning ability of the carbine may be helpful in CP given the smaller number of troops and general lack of high Leadership as no special characters and most likely few actual HQs.

LordMalekTheRedKnight wrote:- Vespids: I've never seen these in action. my only real concern is the lack of J-S-J.

Honestly, either have I. When I bought my Tau army from a friend I inherited a number of units that were new and never used. One was a full Vespid squad, and since they have all AP3 weapons(granted at 12" range) but are jump troops with Assault weapons I thought they may be useful.

As usual, Thanks very much for your input. Having never played CP in the past, it really is nice hearing from someone with experience playing it. I plan to create a number of CP teams in various armies so that I can have any CP ready to play at a given time.

jlong05
Master Jedi
Commander

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:43 pm

jlong05 wrote:Interesting how minds think alike. Although I think you may have an error. Isn't the min size on a Firewarrior squad 6? Your team only has 5.

whoops, that was a typo in my last post - my list itself is correct though - when summarising it i read 5 FWs and deducted one for the leader, but the Leader is actually on a separate line in my proper copy (so its 5+leader). sorry :oops:

jlong05 wrote:Pardon my ignorance. What is J-S-J?

Jump-Shoot-Jump, i.e. being able to move, fire and then make an Jetpack move in the Assault phase (either to hide, put more distance between you and the enemy or to move closer). :)

jlong05 wrote:This is true. I seriously thought about not including them and now I have some solid reasons why. I was mainly trying to maximize my AP3 or better weapons. I don't have my Tau codex here now, but is the Burst Cannon AP3?

no, its not ( http://uk.games-workshop.com/tau/reference/1/ ), but its still twice as good against 3+Svs than 2+ ones (which it wont have to worry about in CP, meaning you need AP1-2 weapons less than in normal games). the Rail Rifles are AP3 though.

time for some Mathhammer:
Fusion Gun Vs MEQ:
5/6 = 0.83 dead per hit in the open
5/6 x 5/6 = 0.69 dead per hit in 6+ Cover
5/6 x 2/3 = 0.55 dead per hit in 5+ Cover
5/6 x 1/2 = 0.42 dead per hit in 4+ Cover

Burst Cannon Vs MEQ:
2/3 x 1/3 = 0.22 dead per hit in the open
3 x the rate of fire = 3 x the number of hits = 0.66
cover has no effect

so against MEQs, the Fusion Gun is only better if they are in the open (well, its slightly better if they are in just 6+ Cover like tall grass). in 5+ or 4+ Cover (which is where they would try to be once they see Fusion guns), the Burst cannon actually does better.

being able to cause more wounding hits (even if a bigger proportion of them are saved anyway) gives you more opportunities to invoke ToF too. :twisted:

another thing is that multi-wound models are rarer in CP, so being able to cause ID isnt as much of a bonus as it is in normal games.
jlong05 wrote:So it would sound as the rifles would be better giving me more range. I was thinking the pinning ability of the carbine may be helpful in CP given the smaller number of troops and general lack of high Leadership as no special characters and most likely few actual HQs.

hmm, hadnt thought of that. my list has 3 units that can cause Pinning, rather than just one, so i dont need to worry about it on the FWs. dont forget that the Sniper Team can split fire though, causing up to 3 Pinning Tests (one on each target unit) per turn.

depends on your play style, and your opponents i guess. if you think the Carbines will be in range enough, without losing too many Markerlight shots, then thats cool. :)

jlong05 wrote:As usual, Thanks very much for your input. Having never played CP in the past, it really is nice hearing from someone with experience playing it.

no problem. :)

i think its worth noting though that most of my recent CP experience has been in non-competitive games (friendly/fluffy). ive not had to face the more extreme lists, for example.

jlong05 wrote:I plan to create a number of CP teams in various armies so that I can have any CP ready to play at a given time.

i have 3 different CP armies in the works at the moment (Tau, 1KSons and AdMech SM), along with my IG and Kate's Eldar (which are at 1000-1500, but we make CP lists from them). once ive finished these 3 ive got a load more waiting on the drawing board (Arbites = "count as" WH, Outcasts = "count as" IG, PDF = IG, Ash Nomads = "count as" IG, SOB, plus others i havent finalised, like AdMech/Skitarii, SM Scouts, Redemptionists, renegade Admech Techcult, more Eldar & homebrew Genestealer Cult).

plenty to keep me busy, lol.

cheers

~ Tim
8O :D OMG - Im a Dad - of THREE!! :D 8O
:) I am "LMTRK" on The Wizards Community and MTG Salvation
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General

Postby jlong05 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:41 am

jlong05 wrote:I plan to create a number of CP teams in various armies so that I can have any CP ready to play at a given time.

Code: Select all
400 Pts - Daemonhunters Roster

Elite: Inquisitor (7#, 140 Pts)
   1 Inquisitor @ 140 Pts
      Power Weapon (x1); Hellgun; Master-crafted weapon; Targeter
      1 Acolyte @ [xx] Pts
         Close combat weapon (x1); Hellgun; Targeter
      1 Familiar @ [x] Pts
         Close Combat Weapon
      1 Sage @ [xx] Pts
         Laspistol; Close Combat Weapon
      1 Warrior @ [xx] Pts
         Veteran Guardsman
         1 Veteran Guardsman @ [x] Pts
            Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Hellgun; Targeter
      1 Warrior @ [xx] Pts
         Gun Servitor
         1 Gun Servitor @ [xx] Pts
            Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Heavy Bolter (x1); Targeter
      1 Warrior @ [xx] Pts
         Gun Servitor
         1 Gun Servitor @ [xx] Pts
            Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Heavy Bolter (x1); Targeter

Troops: Inquisitorial Stormtroopers (11#, 150 Pts)
   10 Inquisitorial Stormtroopers @ 150 Pts
      Frag Grenades; Hellgun (x10); Mount in Rhino; Targeter
      1 Rhino @ [50] Pts
         Storm Bolter

Elite: Assassin Operative (1#, 110 Pts)
   1 Assassin Operative @ 110 Pts
      Vindacare Assassin; Exitus Pistol; Exitus Rifle; Spy Mask; Stealth Suit; Marksman

Code: Select all
400 Pts - Grey Knights Roster

Troops: Grey Knights (6#, 200 Pts)
   5 Grey Knights @ 200 Pts
      Nemesis and Storm bolter (x4); True Grit; Psycannon (x1)
      1 Grey Knight Justicar @ [xx] Pts
         Nemesis Force Weapon; Storm Bolter; True Grit Hero

Troops: Grey Knights (6#, 200 Pts)
   5 Grey Knights @ 200 Pts
      Nemesis and Storm bolter (x4); True Grit; Psycannon (x1)
      1 Grey Knight Justicar @ [xx] Pts
         Nemesis Force Weapon; Storm Bolter; True Grit Hero

I removed individual item costs - cheers.
~ Tim (AoS Mod)
Last edited by jlong05 on Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

jlong05
Master Jedi
Commander

Painting Entrant (2)

Return to 40K Army Lists

Social Links