basing

Discussion of anything 40K related

basing

Postby harbo1993 » Tue May 14, 2013 8:09 am

has anyone got any tips on basing models
harbo1993

Re: basing

Postby markb » Tue May 14, 2013 9:21 am

Depends on the look you want to achieve. Can you be a bit more specific and maybe I can help you out.
"The guns have stopped because we are at last about to attack. Even our generals aren't mad enough to shell their own men, they think its far more sporting to let the Germans do it!"

Capt Edmund Blackadder, the Somme, 1917.

markb
Captain
Captain

Location: On a high plains desert somewhere near Uzbekistan, lets leave it at that
Medals: 1
Painting Entrant (1)

Postby Bob_to_Some » Tue May 14, 2013 9:55 am

I tend to now use resin bases for my 40K stuff, they are cheap enough now that it makes my models look pretty good with minimal effort (which for me is a win because I never seem to have any time to create the awesome bases others here can do!)
Bob_to_Some
Chosen
Chosen

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby mattjgilbert » Tue May 14, 2013 11:18 am

I've just got some resin bases to try them out.

As markb says - it depends on what you look are trying to achieve. There are many techniques and solutions but it all depends what you are doing.

What models is this for, what's your colour scheme and what did you have in mind for the base.

Our answers might be dead simple or more complex dependant on your answer :)
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby harbo1993 » Tue May 14, 2013 12:31 pm

my army is chaos spacemarines and they are red the base i am after is ruble/destroyed city

hope this helps :)
harbo1993

Postby Bob_to_Some » Tue May 14, 2013 12:57 pm

Those actually are similar to the bases I use!

I use these and they cost me about 75p a base:
ImageImage
Bob_to_Some
Chosen
Chosen

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby mattjgilbert » Tue May 14, 2013 2:00 pm

Polyfilla (or sand/glue) and small stones are probably your best and cheapest option. It's best to do the messy stuff before you paint the model so you don't risk damaging your paint work. Paint the base mid grey, drybrush it light grey and then near white. Give it a black ink wash. Paint the base edge black.

That should do the trick.
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby markb » Tue May 14, 2013 2:24 pm

The way I do my my urban bases is to use modeling sand then get some larger pieces of slate and glue them around the base. Around the slate I will glue some larger grit and put small clumps of this around the base as well. On a standard 25mm base this is enough as any more and the base becomes too busy. To paint it I start with watered down black. Over this (you'll have to forgive me here as I don't know the new Citadel colour names) I overbrush Shadow Grey followed by Codex Grey. I finish off with a light drybrush of Space Wolves Grey and maybe a very light drybrush of white.

On larger bases, 40mm and 60mm, you can go to town a bit. I have used in the past resin components but a really simple way is to use polyfiller or green stuff to build up rubble piles and use the methods described above. You can also raid the bits box for stuff to glue down on to it. Another good thing is to use bits of sprue, these can be used for bits of girder.
"The guns have stopped because we are at last about to attack. Even our generals aren't mad enough to shell their own men, they think its far more sporting to let the Germans do it!"

Capt Edmund Blackadder, the Somme, 1917.

markb
Captain
Captain

Location: On a high plains desert somewhere near Uzbekistan, lets leave it at that
Medals: 1
Painting Entrant (1)

Return to 40K Discussion

Social Links