Login

Username:

Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

New AoS (primarily not 40k) meet-up

For event announcements to be shown in the recent news on the forum home page.

Re: New AoS meet-up

Postby paulmc » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:35 pm

id love to come, especially as it sounds like its turning into a celebration of the 'hobby' and not just 40k. the more systems the merrier as far as im concerned. I like KMB's idea of a huge game of space hulk, I haven't played one of those since the early 90's, theres a couple of space hulk boxes in my loft so fingers crossed they are still full of the floor tiles, I had about 3 sets at one point, I know I have the genestealer blips and the psychic cards because I found them last night.
I could bring heroquest, space crusade, zombicide, x-wing, saga and bolt action if any of tham are needed/required
paulmc
Slugga Boy
Slugga Boy

Postby Spack » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:54 pm

I'm up for a meet, but I'd only be able to manage Saturday at a weekend. I can bring along anything I have, Space Hulk (most recent release) and Aeronautica are nice and portable. Haven't played 40k 6th ed and likely won't get chance before the meet, wouldn't mind watching a game or two but I probably won't play. Can bring models if someone wants to borrow them for an Apoc game though, as always I have a few companies worth of tanks, plenty of super heavy tanks, aircraft, and 3 titans.

Wargames Foundry is the location in Mansfield that might well be suitable, would need to check with them about available weekends once we can settle on a rough date. I don't know of any places in Birmingham/West Midlands but I could ask around, the Rogue Traders club is held in a room at a community centre and can only manage 3 or 4 gaming tables, plus there's no food and drink onsite although there's a fish and chip shop nearby :P

I've registered on the forum for the Redditch Wargaming Society (http://forum.redwarsoc.com/index.php) as that's pretty close to Birmingham and if I get approved by the moderators then I'll ask if anyone knows of any venues in the area that would be suitable. These guys run their own events and have one at the end of this month, so they might be able to suggest some places. Might even be able to do a combined event and get a bunch more people to play with and to spread out the cost of hiring a venue if required. There are loads of social clubs within 1 mile of my house, let alone the rest of the Birmingham/Solihull area :)

EDIT: I've asked about venues on the RWS Facebook page, and I've also contact the Gaming Club Network (GCN) about requirements to join as they offer support for running clubs and events so might have some useful info too.
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Medals: 2
Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (1)
Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby Red Devil » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:31 pm

I'd be up for march!

In terms of gaming, I can support the following:
Bloodbowl (I have enough teams to share, LH)
Dreadball (KMB-u can pick this up after a few turns on the day, so be prep required)
KoW
WHFB
40k (I'll play with a smile!)
Deadzone (if all out by then)
Malifaux
Other board games (DKH would be great for end of day/pub gaming)
Red Devil
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant

Postby berger15 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:17 am

I would love to meet up with you guys - finally be able to put some real names, and faces to the AoS names!
I play:
WFB
FoW
Deadzone (we have the scenery - or even better, the game!)
WH Quest

would like to try:
Dreadball
Warpath

I always lost at Bloodbowl, Necromunda and Space Hulk - they don't appeal! Never played Space Crusade, but used to have Heroquest and Advanced Heroquest!

March would be fine with me, but in all honesty, I can do pretty much any weekend from Mid August onwards.
D&D quote of the decade:"Wait, doesn't anyone have a Rod of Resurrection? If you've got one, I need it bad. Get in here with your rod and give it to me!"
berger15
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant

Postby Angelwing » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:55 am

well, if I can get there, i'll bring 40k and Lost valley of the Dinosaurs
Angelwing
Zoanthrope
Zoanthrope

Medals: 17
Gold (5) Silver (1) Painting Entrant (11)

Postby killmaimburn » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:57 am

berger15 wrote:would like to try:
Warpath
I don't know if we're having a whittling process down to common games or if its a everybody brings everything, 10 tables of different games on rotation taster thing.. but if its a former.. Warpath is something even the insidious agents of mantic ( :wink: ) appear not in tune with (beyond buying miniatures to substitute for other companies models). I'd also rather not just have 2 mantic tabletop games replace 1 GW tabletop game as the core/springpoint.. but thats just me and my crazy 1 man shouting at the storm way.

berger15 wrote: but used to have Heroquest and Advanced Heroquest!
I lost my advanced heroquest in one of a family members purges (see other thread on treasure).. however I do have the rules somewhere again,lots of current era rats, led bretonnians and corridors.. what (really) did it play like?
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Baragash » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:34 am

Warpath has some problems including, but not limited to, congenital defects (assuming KoW would simply port and not identifying some issues with the KoW system) and schizophrenia (is it a ridiculously convoluted mess large skirmish game or a more Epic level system).

The work Hellebore has done on WP1.1 is quite promising, but Mantic is more focussed on not 40k a more granular system.

There you go kmb, equal opportunities put down :P ;)
My Hobby Blog!
My Painting & Modelling Blog!
Gallery
"The Emperor is obviously not a dictator, he's a couch."
Starbuck: "Why can't we use the starboard launch bays?"
Engineer: "Because it's a gift shop!"
Baragash
Sorceror
Sorceror

Blog: View Blog (21)

Postby markb » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:42 am

I could probably make a March meet up but don't have my rotation planner that far in advance but at a rough calculation I could make it. As I've said to the lads at the Raiders due to me working away I have to be careful as to what games I play, I just don't get the playing time to learn other systems so for me it would be 40k, WHFB and FoW. I could bring Man O War, need to find my ships but I have a full set of it and all the expansions.
"The guns have stopped because we are at last about to attack. Even our generals aren't mad enough to shell their own men, they think its far more sporting to let the Germans do it!"

Capt Edmund Blackadder, the Somme, 1917.

markb
Captain
Captain

Location: On a high plains desert somewhere near Uzbekistan, lets leave it at that
Medals: 1
Painting Entrant (1)

Postby mattjgilbert » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:05 am

Baragash wrote:Warpath has some problems including, but not limited to, congenital defects (assuming KoW would simply port and not identifying some issues with the KoW system) and schizophrenia (is it a ridiculously convoluted mess large skirmish game or a more Epic level system).

The work Hellebore has done on WP1.1 is quite promising, but Mantic is more focussed on not 40k a more granular system.

There you go kmb, equal opportunities put down :P ;)

I think Ronnie wants to make it mass battles again. Who knows what Alessio will do with that brief...

Lost Valley of the Dinosaurs... that's one of the games in the game chest at my parents' place. I think we played it with the kids last time we were there.
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby Baragash » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:44 am

IMO they should do both because.... why not?! Rules are relatively cheap to make in comparison to models so if they can have an Epic-style 28mm game and a 40k-style 28mm game surely they sell more man dollies, no?

I guess the question is whether to build on WP2 or DZ for the 40k-style game....or start from scratch (well, alternate activation + scratch) ;)

On topic: I got nothing to add ;)
My Hobby Blog!
Gallery
Baragash
Sorceror
Sorceror

Postby mattjgilbert » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:47 am

Baragash wrote:IMO they should do both because.... why not?! Rules are relatively cheap to make in comparison to models so if they can have an Epic-style 28mm game and a 40k-style 28mm game surely they sell more man dollies, no?

Which is exactly what I suggested to Ronnie when I went to see him last summer. A book that had rules for both. :)

OK, Easter is in April and with 5 weekends in March 2014 I suggest we go for one of the later ones to avoid half-term and people taking family time.

So how about with the weekend of the 15th/16th or the 22nd/23rd March 2014?
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby Baragash » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:25 pm

I would suggest a simultaneous release but given that Mantic has some how managed to become more GW than GW (and almost everyone else) about their printed material for KoW (I'm beginning to wonder if Ronnie was behind GW having that policy), I'd much rather have the two books separate so there's more play-testing/less rushing to market done and if there are when things slip through the cracks the "integrity" of a whole different game system isn't a barrier to addressing them.

Either weekend is fine (conveniently my wedding anniversary falls squarely between the two so I can do it late/early to suit :)).
My Hobby Blog!
Gallery
Baragash
Sorceror
Sorceror

Postby Ljundhammer » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:55 pm

And now a shotgun wedding bombshell!

This thread is delivering!
When in deadly danger
When beset by doubt
Run in little circles
Wave your arms and shout
- parody of the litany of command
Ljundhammer
Brother-Captain
Brother-Captain

Postby killmaimburn » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:34 pm

Ljundhammer wrote:This thread is delivering!

I'm loving Baragash' use of the strike clause to be bitchy :D
I think maybe we should just ride out the next year playing him chakra calming things and clensing banal stuff to help with his impending marriage/birth so he doesn't pop before his fair lady does.

Most of us have been there, in fact me and Lord Malek teamed up pretty much based on sharing nappy rash fixing solutions (cold setting hair dryer for the winnzors)
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby conscriptboris » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:45 pm

Hi all,

Right now, I reckon I can make it for the first time in many years! However, a 1 in 3 chance I may be working in Kenya at the time, right now im happy with either of the suggested weekends.

Elvis
conscriptboris
Elvis isnt Dead!
Commander

Medals: 1
Painting Entrant (1)
Blog: View Blog (3)

PreviousNext

Return to Events

Social Links