Username:

Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

Age of Strife 'BER' Special Modeling Contest

Age of Strife 'BER' Special Modeling Contest

Postby timewizard » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:23 am

All right everyone, it's time to find those unopened, half started, incomplete plastic Games Workshop model kits that you started, lost interest in and threw on a shelf or under a table somewhere. Now is your chance to finally finish those poor neglected kits you have been avoiding and breathe new life into them.

Gaming Figures is pleased to sponsor a special modeling and painting event. It is called the "BER Special", a special event that will be held during the months that end in 'ber'. The owners of Gaming Figures have offered a prize fund of £150 for this contest. These prizes can only be redeemed with GW plastic kits and must be collected in person from PC Tech. If the winner is unable to collect their prize in person, an organizer of the event will collect it on their behalf and ship it to them. In addition, Joel Pitt (owner of Anvil Industry) has graciously offered up a £15 voucher for the honorable mention (or 4th place finisher) which can be redeemed for anything on his site.

This special contest will have the following rules and criteria;

All entries must be Games Workshop plastic kits. They may be from any Games Workshop model range, 40K, WFB, LOTR or the Hobbit. No finecast, metal or forge world entries, in full or in part, are allowed. Brass etch pieces of any kind are similarly not allowed.

Conversion work on the entered models is acceptable, but any parts and bits must be from Games Workshop plastic kits or from Games Workshop Plastic sprues. Kits and bits or parts thereof from any other company or manufacturer will not be allowed or accepted including 3rd party custom resin parts and/or bases. This does not exclude standard conversion materials such as plasticard, greenstuff, milliput, wood, basing materials, scale chains and the like. Contestants must submit a WIP picture of any converted model prior to priming to show only allowed components were used. If an entrant is in doubt about a material, a PM can be sent to timewizard or Talus requesting a clarification.

To enter, a photo of the kit or kits to be entered along with a listing of each component and must be placed in this thread after September 1, 2013. No entries will be accepted or can be changed after the 20th of September 2013.

Please note that entries into the 'BER' event cannot be entered into the Painter of the Month contest and vice versa.

Contestants are encouraged to keep the contest thread alive by submitting WIP pictures and updates. After all, we are all interested in seeing how everyone's projects are coming along and hopefully you will keep in mind when voting, that all aspects of the project should be taken into consideration.

Entrants have up to the last day of November to build and finish their project. A picture of the finished entry can be uploaded to the "BER Special" gallery anytime after the 20th of September. Multiple images can be included in the picture but only 1 picture per entry and only 1 entry per registered entrant are permitted. On November 30, 2013 the contest thread will be locked and voting will commence.

Voting will take place during the first 4 days of December, 2013. Only registered members of Age of Strife will be permitted to enter and vote in this event. Failure to comply with any of these rules will result in immediate disqualification from this event.

The winner will be announced on the 5th of December giving you time to get a nice Christmas present for yourself from Gaming Figures or Anvil Industry! (Holiday shipping schedules and unexpected snafu events notwithstanding.)

The prizes for this event are:

First Place - £65 of GW plastic kits from Gaming Figures
Second Place - £50 of GW plastic kits from Gaming Figures
Third Place - £35 of GW plastic kits from Gaming Figures
Honorable Mention - £15 voucher from Anvil Industry http://www.anvilindustry.co.uk/

Since they are supporting us, please support the sponsors of this event.

Entrants so far:

darklighter - Baneblade (marine variant)
Talus - Basilisk
Socaddict - Baneblade (ork looted variant)
timewizard - Last Act of Defiance vignette
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Medals: 11
Gold Wreath (1) Gold (1) Silver Wreath (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: Age of Strife 'BER' Special Modeling Contest

Postby Darklighter » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:02 pm

I started work on this a few days before the BER event announcement and it's been on hold since. Here is a log of what I've done so far

The start of the project was a very badly built Baneblade I bought off a friend. The up shot was it came apart really easily, but some parts went back together quite badly (the tracks mainly). I then set about adding plasticard to give it more of a marine feel. I used the forge world tank for reference , but decided to add more wargear looking elements to it. I wanted to represent the ceramite plating and had to add a gunner to show that marines where manning the vehicle. Looking at the tank I decided it would be far simpler to add a full side panel than to file and smooth them flat. I drew around the tank to give me a rough profile and laid out the position of the doors, hatches and skirt profile. After cutting out these shapes I then attached them and started building up the layers of plasticard filing and trimming the panels as I went. (the tank isn't very true so I had to do most of it by eye). At this point I've done most of the major construction and have an overall shape I'm happy with.

Image Image Image Image

You can see I've still not finalised the rear section and engines and I've also started to think about adding some chapter embellishments (Blood Angels).

Image Image

I've kept the demolisher cannon magnetised so that it can be removed for the Felglave variant. I'll be making a replacement panel at a later date. The gun will also be undergoing a major overhaul to make it suitable for use as either gun.

Now it's time to get cracking.
What, no image sigs!
Darklighter
Shas'el
Shas'el

Medals: 19
Gold (3) Silver (2) Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (13)

Postby Talus » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:20 pm

so, i know the picture makes things a little haphazard, but i recently changed my plans for this entry

we have, a tau battleforce (new sealed in box), a selection of marine frames (infantry, kitbashed together) and the battlescape, still bearing the scars from the modifications i made when i started my last Titan

the new plans, involve fire warriors and drones, ragged looking marines, a wartorn battlescape, and some crossed fingers =P

i cant say exactly how many firewarriors i'll be using, i measured up for the previous terrain which had them at 16 firewarriors, 4 drones and a battlesuit, scape is alot smaller

so i estimate around 6 warriors, 2 drones

marines i can say exactly how many, 5, including a custom made techmarine (which ive wanted to make for years)

naturally, extra body parts on an as needed basis =)

my problem will be, getting enough on there to make the marines look like they're in a desperate last stand against tau forces

without making it look like i've just thrown on a hundred models and said ''epicness!''

i'd considered using the dark vengeance set, marines vs chaos, but its been done to death, so send in the tau!
Talus
Sir Hack'n'Slash!
Chief Justice

Medals: 25
Anvil's Hammer - 3rd Place (1) Gold (3) Silver (3) Bronze Wreath (1) Bronze (5)
Painting Entrant (12)

Postby timewizard » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:02 pm

Oh sure!
You tell me you're doing up a diorama based on the citadel gaming hill.
I tell you I'm doing up a vignette based on the battlescape I'll never use in a game.

You sell off the hill and NOW you're doing a vignette based on the battlescape! :?

Okay, be that way! I'll be posting up my shots today! 8)

Game on mate! :twisted:
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Postby hunter101 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:02 pm

Im still pondering on what to enter
disclamer. i cnt spell due to been dislexic or dropt when born. tho the 2nd has never been admitted.
http://waaaghpaint.webs.com/
hunter101
Commander
Commander

Medals: 1
Painting Entrant (1)

Postby Socaddict » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:12 pm

Dammit, I'm not the only one thinking of a baneblade based work...

Picked up this kit over the summer after getting a shadowsword a few years back, fancied giving my orks something that wasn't just a stompa.

The grey effect on the turret is Mr Surfacer in an attempt to give it a cast look. Yes, it will, in true orky fashion, have an over the top engine and far too many guns to be practical.

That's half the fun isn't it?
Waaargh.
Orks project log here
Socaddict
Mekboy
Warlord

Medals: 2
Painting Entrant (2)

Postby timewizard » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:17 pm

Looks good Socaddict!
You're in for the contest!
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Postby Darklighter » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:54 pm

Well Socaddict I think we are going to see two very different finished products out of that one kit by the end of this comp.
What, no image sigs!
Darklighter
Shas'el
Shas'el

Medals: 19
Gold (3) Silver (2) Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (13)

Postby timewizard » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:00 pm

I agree.
That is an incredible kit to begin with.
I'm really looking forward to seeing what you two come up with!
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Postby killmaimburn » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:26 am

The main thing I take from that picture is, I've never met anyone hate windows so much they pulled out the key before :lol:
Anyone doing a remote control one? I'm sure remote control or even just some maplin LED lights would go down well with the judges.
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Socaddict » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:43 am

Ha!.

Its more to prevent accidental presses during a game, pulling you out onto desktop. Fairly common in gaming circles.
Waaargh.
Orks project log here
Socaddict
Mekboy
Warlord

Medals: 2
Painting Entrant (2)

Postby Talus » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:05 pm

Ok, another update (got alot of these today :P)

finished building the Techmarine!

throw a party guys, i've wanted to build this guy for years

the 'hands'' on the upper arms and his right arm, are interchangable, no magnets yet, but they can be swapped around

as can his left foot, and the lower feet =)

i made good use of that power cable tutorial some genius posted :mrgreen:

-a bionics tutorial will be available soon (tm)-

but, sadly, this guy wont be entered into the contest

i'm changing my entry, i don't feel comfortable putting in a big scenic piece when the other entrants are single tanks (that in no way is meant to diminish your entries, i have no doubt they will look amazing when they are finished)

so, judges permitting (and im leaving this to timewizard to yay or nay), my new entry will be this:

i've wanted to build it for a long time, so now seems as good of a time as any!
Talus
Sir Hack'n'Slash!
Chief Justice

Medals: 25
Anvil's Hammer - 3rd Place (1) Gold (3) Silver (3) Bronze Wreath (1) Bronze (5)
Painting Entrant (12)

Postby Angelwing » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:49 pm

Sadly I don't really have anything suitable to enter this contest. I have a load of the old genestealer hybrids, but I'm not sure how / if I'm going to use them yet. The only other thing I have is a brood of badly mangled tyranid warriors from ebay that need massive rebuilding. However, I'm going to wait for the new codex, as I have no idea if there will be new build options for them.
All my other stuff lurking in the box is metal or metal hybrid stuff.
Angelwing
Zoanthrope
Zoanthrope

Medals: 17
Gold (5) Silver (1) Painting Entrant (11)

Postby hunter101 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:22 pm

Ye im all resin more than plastic at the min.
disclamer. i cnt spell due to been dislexic or dropt when born. tho the 2nd has never been admitted.
http://waaaghpaint.webs.com/
hunter101
Commander
Commander

Medals: 1
Painting Entrant (1)

Postby timewizard » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:18 pm

Talus wrote:i'm changing my entry, i don't feel comfortable putting in a big scenic piece when the other entrants are single tanks (that in no way is meant to diminish your entries, i have no doubt they will look amazing when they are finished)

so, judges permitting (and im leaving this to timewizard to yay or nay), my new entry will be this:

Entry change is approved.
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Next

Return to Competitions

Social Links