Username:

Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

Dropzone Commander. Review.

Dropzone Commander. Review.

Postby hunter101 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:57 pm

Well been tinkering with this for some time now. Slowly building up a PHR and Scourge army.

Resin models.
For there size there bloody lush in detail. Not 100% perfect in casting but by god thay put the likes of FW to shame.

Miss Casts.
Ok. As I sed not 100% perfect and if a piece is unfortunately a right off then Hawk War Games will replace with a turn around of about 2 weeks. There quality control is very very good but the odd piece dose get thro. normally at the near end of a cast mold going pop.

Cost.
Do not buy from Hawk unless its in bulk. go to a registered dealer. Save a few quid. (Dose not effect the replacement part issue.)

Game.
Not played it yet. As working on getting to army's to a nice game number. The rule book is rather nice. Color coded for Ruels and races. The model stats are simple to follow and there are no bloody codexes or side crap like in other games. Simply photo coppy the pages with the units ur fielding and have a happy game with no puzzlement or throwing of beer. And you only need 10 dice.

Im looking ford to my 1st game soon. Enjoy thes pics.
Attachments
IMAG0241_1.jpg
IMAG0230_1.jpg
IMAG0245_1.jpg
hunter101
Commander
Commander

Medals: 1
Painting Entrant (1)

Re: Dropzone Commander. Review.

Postby DaBoss » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:57 am

Very nice PHR, I've read the rules a couple of times (bought book last year) now waiting for the plastic starter to share with Ogregut - I'll be taking the UCM.
Expect to play in October - will try to do some battle reports then.
DaBoss
Junior Officer
Junior Officer

Blog: View Blog (43)

Postby killmaimburn » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:30 am

I've read.. but I'm not reading further till you do a batrep ;)
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby mattjgilbert » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:01 pm

I've played a few games. It's nice but a few things take a little getting used to (as with any new system) and there are some areas where I thought fat could be removed from the rules. The new starter comes with an updated rulebook so hopefully it will have ironed out the kinks.

I really need to paint up my Scourge...
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby conscriptboris » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:25 pm

This looks to be starting at the club in gib, I am interested as it will fill the gap epic left in me... :(
conscriptboris
Elvis isnt Dead!
Commander

Painting Entrant (1)
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby mattjgilbert » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:18 pm

I really need to get some more games in but I have so many things to play now it's hard to fit it all in!
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby hunter101 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:47 pm

Yes Im waiting on the Starter box. As my partner loves the Scourge.
For a test run Im impressed with the resin. (And you do not have to clean mold relise of it. YAY!)
Im a sucker for the PHR and hopefully It might get introduced at Redcar Club And Ow so Please PLEASE Could Gaming Figures start stocking it. It would be Ace.
disclamer. i cnt spell due to been dislexic or dropt when born. tho the 2nd has never been admitted.
http://waaaghpaint.webs.com/
hunter101
Commander
Commander

Painting Entrant (1)

Postby cgra1 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:50 pm

Ive just finished painting up my UCM and my sons Scourge. The models are fantastically detailed, its a shame my painting isn't. The UCM infantry were really fiddly.
Im also waiting on the starter set but im not much good at waiting so have ordered enough extra to build 2x1500 point armies and a tables worth of buildings. Me and Ethan are definitely planning to club and a couple of the others have expressed an interest so hopefully we can get a few games in.
cgra1

Postby hunter101 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:15 pm

This could be fun.
disclamer. i cnt spell due to been dislexic or dropt when born. tho the 2nd has never been admitted.
hunter101
Commander
Commander

Painting Entrant (1)

Postby cgra1 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:24 pm

Starter set turned up on Weds and I've now built all the units and terrain and played a couple of games. Were still finding our way round some of the more elaborate rules
, not tried fast movers yet, but we both think it's a great game, on similar lines to Dystopian wars. Im taking it yo the club on Monday to give Gav a quick demo game.
cgra1

Postby hunter101 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:27 pm

Cool. Look ford to getting mine soon.
hunter101
Commander
Commander

Painting Entrant (1)

Postby cgra1 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:37 am

Well after playing this most of the weekend trying out different units etc, I have to change my initial statement. This is not like dystopian wars. It’s similar in the activation of units but that’s all.

Firstly the plastics are really nice, nicer than the resin imho.
Secondly this game is very tactical, from the choice of what to put where in each battlegroup to the order in which each should be activated on the board. The tactical choice in just making a list is fantastic. You need to decide at this point what units you want to activate with other units, for example do I want my Infantry transports to be supported by the AA tanks or by Gunships, the Gunships can move on and kill any threats before my Infantry are on the ground but they can't kill Air threats, but the AA need to deploy before they can fire so that’s a turn of shooting I will loose. For someone who loves tactical list building it’s fantastic.
Thirdly the game play is fast and very tense, due to the you go I go mechanic I found it more exciting as I could react to my opponents moves.
When we tried larger games we did start running into problems with remembering who had been activated and what unit belongs to which battlegroup but I think this was down to fatigue and having to stop mid games to get snacks, take the dog for a walk, put out the bins etc.
The Scenarios look great, we only played 2 of them, the first we played 3 times with escalating points value, this was an objective based game where our infantry had to storm a building and retrieve an objective. My son was very good at this and beat me all 3 times, we then had a go at designing our own lists for another scenario, I think that he still had his storm and kill head on because his army was geared around exclusively taking objectives from buildings, unfortunately for him we rolled a mission that required forces to move more units into the opponents half by turn 6. This threw his plan out and I managed to claw a potential win (Game ended as he suddenly remembered he had homework to do.)
I’m glad that we played the final mission because it showed that a balanced list (with Ground, Air and AA forces) is the way to go, especially if you randomise which mission you play. There are 12 Missions in all, 6 of them are played by standard forces and 6 by Attack and Defence forces which is essentially just a tweak to the defenders army list allowance.
Overall I’m very impressed by the game, it takes a lot less dice (except when in Close combat) than anything else I’ve played and it seemed that most units were hitting on a 3+ with very little modifiers so it was fairly brutal but surprisingly this didn’t feel unbalanced or wrong
cgra1

Postby BDA » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:34 am

i have enjoyed my games but some of them just end up being who can destroy the most buildings with objectives in them lol
BDA
Exarch
Exarch

Postby cgra1 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:12 am

We discussed blowing up objective buildings but found that the time it took to do so meant that the other player could evacuate and get off the board. The variety of missions also negate doing this tactic as not every game uses building objectives. I think the fact that you can destroy the buildings stops players castling infantry all game.
cgra1

Postby BDA » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:12 am

well i have only had a few games but the ones i have had have so far resulted in the building being searched getting shot a lot cos it often crushes the people inside. it is also the easiest way to deal with infantry as even if they do come to the windows to shoot out they will often prove hard to hit with anything that is not geared up to do so.
BDA
Exarch
Exarch

Next

Return to Dropzone Commander

Social Links