Login

Username:

Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

Painting Tutorial - Chaos / Flesh Hounds (video)

Painting Tutorial - Chaos / Flesh Hounds (video)

Postby KInG » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:03 pm

Well here is my first attempt at a painting tutorial video and I'm very keen for some feedback please. You will see from the video I also need some help myself from some 'real' painters for my horns!! ... please help if you can.

Now I need to get cracking on the other 29 ready for the up coming battle report. I'll post the pre game thread for the battle when the dogs are nearly done, so we can all look at the Chaos list together, to fight against the Guard.

Upcoming battle report:

www.GamingFigures.com & http://www.AgeofStrife.com 15% off GW models 10% off FoW & GF9 - extra 1% off orders £100+ & 2% off orders £250+ with FREE UK SHIPPING now added
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Medals: 2
Painting Entrant (2)

Re: Painting Tutorial - Chaos / Flesh Hounds (video)

Postby Darklighter » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:33 pm

Nice vid. For future turorials though I'd try to use paints that are still available to buy and by that I mean still being manufactured not just sold by dodgy back ally dealers. A few things like lighting and sound that could be better, but things like that I have no idea about so I'll leave that for others. I'm looking forward to the battle report.
What, no image sigs!
Darklighter
Shas'el
Shas'el

Medals: 19
Gold (3) Silver (2) Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (13)

Postby KInG » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:49 am

Thx DL. Have you tried watching in HD mode from the youtube player settings? or tried turning the brightness up on your monitor. It seems quite bright to me. But the sound I am struggling with... I may try investing in a new Mic and see how that turns out. :)

And you are right about the paints, mine are all old due to the lack of painting I've been doing up until now. Heres the conversion table for anyone wanting the new names. All the colours I used and still available in the new range. And I think Vallejio's ornage was called Blazing Orange in GWs previous range:

www.GamingFigures.com & http://www.AgeofStrife.com 15% off GW models 10% off FoW & GF9 - extra 1% off orders £100+ & 2% off orders £250+ with FREE UK SHIPPING now added
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby Darklighter » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:51 pm

Oh no you get me worng it's not that the Vid is to dark it's just the colour balance seems a little off, but that might be fixed if I watch the HD version I hadn't realised I wasn't at the time. A new mic will deffinatly help. The colours wasn't for my benifit. It's more for trying to gain more followers and new subscribers. As it'd be easier for people to follow the steps if they had easy access the the paint ranges used.

But it comes down to what you want from the vids is it just a vlog? In that case carry on as it's a personal project and it's your army. I know I use loads of older paints in my armies to keep them as uniform as I can. If it's a tutoril to help others and to help build community awarness may be a new Army or at least a new paint scheme might be better suited. If this video was titled to reflect the techniques used as more the focus of the tutorial than I think watchers could forgive the lack of in date paint range a little more... Maybe. But most newbies like things to be laid out with as simple a set of instuctions as possible untill they build up in both skill and confidence. Once you've worked out your focus then you can start to alter what content you put out.

Sorry I'm not meaning to be negative, in fact I'm very excited about this channel and hope it's somehting you really get into and it takes off in a big way. I'd like to help with content but I'm not sure how I'd fit the time in at the moment..... I'm definatly game for some battle reports though.
What, no image sigs!
Darklighter
Shas'el
Shas'el

Postby KInG » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:02 pm

I was hoping you would be up for a batrep DL ;)

As for the vid, its aimed at the community. What title would be better suited you think? I was thinking of renaming the playlist its in also to 'Painting Tutorials - Beginners/Intermediate' or similar...

As other ppl supply content, or my skills improve, then we can have other playlists also.
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby timewizard » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:19 pm

Right. For the horns, a basecoat of bleached bone, then a light drybrush of vermin brown followed by a VERY light brushing of dwarf flesh.

Gives a nice natural horn color with the brown "streaks". Easy and quick to apply.
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Medals: 11
Gold Wreath (1) Gold (1) Silver Wreath (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby KInG » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:35 pm

how do you get the steaks please TW?
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby Talus » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:14 pm

my way for horns these days are:

base coat of baneblade brown
drybrush of rakarth flesh
highlighted with screaming skull
then a drop of agrax earthshade over the lower half of it (keeping it thinner over the screaming skull)

when i get it right, its a nice little progression up to bright points
Talus
Sir Hack'n'Slash!
Chief Justice

Medals: 25
Anvil's Hammer - 3rd Place (1) Gold (3) Silver (3) Bronze Wreath (1) Bronze (5)
Painting Entrant (12)

Postby timewizard » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:49 pm

KInG wrote:how do you get the steaks please TW?

I have a fairly mutilated brush, load it lightly with paint, get most of it off on a paper towel, and when I drag it over my finger and see it leaves light streaks, it's ready.

You need a light touch with the brush or it doesn't work well.
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Postby KInG » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:52 pm

fancy doing a video tutorial :) lol
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby timewizard » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:07 am

I'll try, have to find a camera, but I'll give it a shot.
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Postby KInG » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:12 am

Excellent. If u send it to me I'll AoS ify it and upload.
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby Darklighter » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:54 pm

The video title might be best described as speed painting techniques rather than a painting tutorial. It's not that it's not a painting tutorial but it'd reflect better the content and still keep it relevant regardless of the paint ranges used.
What, no image sigs!
Darklighter
Shas'el
Shas'el

Postby KInG » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:48 pm

btw I changed the title as u suggested DL...

So fancy doing a batrep with me sometime mate? Get your Tau on camera?
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Painting Entrant (2)

Return to Video Tutorials

Social Links