Username:

Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

W40K Battle Report - IG v CD 'CLOSING the RIFT'

W40K Battle Report - IG v CD 'CLOSING the RIFT'

Postby KInG » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:02 pm

Here it is then for your consideration.. our first video battle report. Obviously I am really keen to hear your feedback, so please tell it :)

Normally I would be advising that if you want to watch this in HD then to go here in your settings : http://www.youtube.com/account_playback

but I can't seem to get that option myself, even though it was loaded in 720p, it only plays in 360p. :(

I've tried reloading and that didn't help. Any advise?
www.GamingFigures.com & http://www.AgeofStrife.com 15% off GW models 10% off FoW & GF9 - extra 1% off orders £100+ & 2% off orders £250+ with FREE UK SHIPPING now added
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Medals: 2
Painting Entrant (2)

Re: W40K Battle Report - IG v CD 'CLOSING the RIFT'

Postby Spack » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:11 pm

Any reason why you posted this twice? :| I've deleted the first one.
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (1)
Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby timewizard » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:38 pm

Nice job KInG, very well done.
Only criticism is that your voice volume is a bit on the low side. I had to increase the volume on my computer, then the music came on and quite literally filled the room! Since the music volume is fine, then it's your narration that needs the volume boost!
What is very impressive is the models and the terrain. Not a piece of raw plastic to be found anywhere!
Shame the IG reserve rolls went the way they did. Thought I was the only one who was able to fail roll a '1' on demand time after time!

So overall, nice batrep, good production, pleasure to watch. Thanks!
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Medals: 11
Gold Wreath (1) Gold (1) Silver Wreath (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Angelwing » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:04 am

Good vid, very entertaining. Who was your opponent, or were you playing with yourself? Love the reserve rolls, that sort of thing happens frequently here too.
Video quality was good (i stream SD as my internet is slow) voice volume was fine except near the end of turns when it trailed away. Music volume seemed fine.
The credits made me laugh too. Only one name... K!NG !
Angelwing
Zoanthrope
Zoanthrope

Medals: 17
Gold (5) Silver (1) Painting Entrant (11)

Postby KInG » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:37 pm

:) glad you liked it AW.. the voice trailing off on one section was my fault...

It seems people are having differing results on the audio. When I make the video in movie maker its louder on my voice, but something in the conversion by youtube when you upload reduces it. So I have to try and speak louder on the narration, it helps with the end result.

but for best audio results I find if I turn my computer volume right up and then use the video viewer audio control to adjust the video volume only, that works for me, but I'm going to try an anolog mic, instead of this usb mic and see if tht makes a difference.

The guy I mentioned, Luke from StrikingScorpion82 channel, he narrates as he films the thing... that saves a lot of time compiling at the end, but he seems a natural commentator, I end up saying the wrong thing, calling the units the wrong names and getting it all wrong lol its an age thing I think :)
www.GamingFigures.com & http://www.AgeofStrife.com 15% off GW models 10% off FoW & GF9 - extra 1% off orders £100+ & 2% off orders £250+ with FREE UK SHIPPING now added
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby cgra1 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:35 pm

Nice report mate. I like the narrative style. Not too sure of the music though. ;-)
cgra1

Postby Darklighter » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:11 pm

Nice report. Maybe a little long for an all in one watch. Maybe next time upload them in chunks like turn one and two then 3/4 then 5-finally with a conclusion. That way you can stretch out the content keeping the channel flowing with updates and spend a little more time per segment polishing it up.

I'd also noticed your post on the vid talking about how it wasn't available in 720 untill later on. This is a usual thing for youtube it's a feature that lest the content be veiwable before it's fully in the system it'll happen every time and usually take a few hours before you can watch in it's full glory.
What, no image sigs!
Darklighter
Shas'el
Shas'el

Medals: 19
Gold (3) Silver (2) Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (13)

Postby KInG » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:05 pm

thx guys, some good points.

yeh most of Luke Barker's are an hour long, I think his Apoc one was 2 hours long, but as one guy posted on his, he loved it mre than most movies he's watched, so went and got a bag of popcorn and made a night of it ;)

Luke has also been putting his chunks together as one where he had them at the start spilt into three. I suppose this then gives the viewer the option, to watch it all in one go, or just pause and come back later....

BTW, if you gys haven't watched any of his and you like thins kind of ting, I heartedly recommend his channel to you: StrikingScorpion82
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby conscriptboris » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:38 pm

hey,

Im going to just type and suggest, nothing is written to offend :)

Watched the video, my thought straight away was 29 mins..dam. However someone has already brought that up. You referred us to Lukes videos as being longer so it shouldn't be an issue, ill sace my answer to that until the end.

I liked:

-The Focused style ( I don't like the chaotic lots of background noise that Bols have for example)
-The Cinematic 'Fluff'
-The summarys of the Turns
- Good models and scenery

Not a Fan of:

-Length (20mins for a Basic Battle Report seems reasonable)
-Who are you and Who are you playing against? not sure if this was mentioned but people can pick your video up from google and have no idea what AoS is or who you are, they may not bother checking your channel either, so some sort of intro and what AoS is about.

As I mentioned earlier you refer to Luke, he has some good vids, I have seen some of his before. However as you posted you are looking at utilising the vids to bring more people to AoS. So a couple of suggestions that you may well have thought off:

- What character/difference/new thing are you bringing with the vids, creating vids is great, but why should they watch you over other people? Whats your thing?
- Are you playing against someone or on your own, I got the impression it was you vs you......the other player doesn't have to be 'co-presenter' but present would be good to give the social aspect.
- Lastly, Why IG vs CD? (I realise this is prob just for testing sake) however, I read battlereports to gain experience on other armies capabilitys, so people will definitely look for Battlereports on the lastest dex, allies are big, and the latest 'leafblower' list, also stronghold and escalation. ( This requires lots of painted armies :D )

Anyway, hope that has helped, anything else that comes to mind ill post. All is good, lets hope they go somewhere!

Regards,

Elvis
conscriptboris
Elvis isnt Dead!
Commander

Medals: 1
Painting Entrant (1)
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby KInG » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:04 am

excellent elvis.. you covered a lot, thanks for that... Some of the stuff you mentioned was considered, some not, so I'll just take each point as it comes up...

- I reckon 20mins is a good target to aim for, looking at it now a few days on I think there's one or even two too many fly-bys with music. Added for dramatic effect but could be reduced. Also there won't be a minute intro like this one normally. Adding stuff you mention later though will be at the sacrifice of something else tho.

- Yes, you and AW, have spotted the fact I was playing against myself with my two most painted armies, and even they needed 32 models more to make them upto 1850 :) ...This was a test, with what I had. The table didn't need a lot of work, that is my normal gaming table I use at home (standard 6x4 flocked with movable terrain), but painted armies I am short on; fortunately not of friends who aren't. Off the top of my head I can think of a BA, Tau, SM or two, Ork, Spacewolf, Eldar or two and another CD and CSM armies to call upon. I'm going to get necrons again as they could be painted up in a week!! lol

- Intro for the video, well that can only improve.. Fancy doing one Elvis? I'm camera shy :) What your saying is that each video should be treat as a separate entity, able to tell anyone looking what it is and where it came from.. I would say you are right mate. I have made a note to expand the intro with the relevant info.

- what's my thing: I would say that I am aiming to bring videos that encompass the whole aspect of the hobby. Battle reports usually consist of guys rolling dice at each other with no narrative; the armies don't usually look very good; some not even painted; and the tables/terrain are poor. Now I think most of Luke's games do that, so I took that format as my 'model' because it represented everything the hobby is to me. Luke only produces a small number of reports though and I think we can produce some also giving the people who like this kind of report more of them. I have approached Luke and offered/asked if he would be interested in some co op and see if we can get him into our community also... waiting to hear more... So basically the aim is to produce high end, all encompassing videos... but relevance is also key as you mentioned, and this point I took on board immediately.

- the videos need to be on the latest thing if they are to attract/appeal to more people. I have in the painting queue, two imperial strong points, firestorm redoute, vengeance weapons and mytr's defence line... These will take a little while to paint, but they are coming. I also have a few super heavies and could do an Escalation battle soon if I can find someone willing to take on a titan in a normal game. So putting a schedule together for reports to aim for is maybe a good thing.. hard to know what's coing up next... mmm I wonder what Richie's nids look like... might ask for a game and take a look at them.

I think that covers all you points Elvis.. thanks again, priceless :)
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby conscriptboris » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:01 pm

hey,

Glad I could help, if you know someone with nids, get them on board and get in the new models if he can, or even do a battle report, 'using your old army with the new dex', not everyone will buy all the new models :)

As for doing battle reports, I am interested and will see what I can do over here, however, no promises or timelines :D

Elvis
conscriptboris
Elvis isnt Dead!
Commander

Painting Entrant (1)

Postby KInG » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:46 pm

Awesome if you did Elvis and hopefully remaining true to the concept of the channel though. ;)
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby conscriptboris » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:50 pm

Of course :)
conscriptboris
Elvis isnt Dead!
Commander

Painting Entrant (1)

Postby Darklighter » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:20 am

Most battle reports seems to be either about showcasing the latest armies or power lists with a big lean towards touney play (not a bad thing it's just been done). I think the fact you've started with the narative should be the thing you play on the most. Once you get in the swing of things and know a bit more of the technical side of things a campaign diary style set of reports might be a good crowd draw. Also getting in contact with the wargames consortium on youtube could bring in a lot of support as well as viewers. That way you could have every type of game from kill team to apoc and made up missions with terrain laid out to look nice rather than purely for advantage.

P.s. It was very obvious that you where playing your self from the style of the video to the way both armies where being played, lol.
What, no image sigs!
Darklighter
Shas'el
Shas'el

Medals: 19
Gold (3) Silver (2) Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (13)

Postby KInG » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:07 pm

Darklighter wrote:
P.s. It was very obvious that you where playing your self from the style of the video to the way both armies where being played, lol.

HOW!!?? :| I thought I hid it well. Or do you mean from your experience of playing both these armies against me you knew it was me :P

Ok, please explain about this wargaming consortium on youtube... how is that working and do you have a link plz :)
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Painting Entrant (2)

Next

Return to 40k Video Battle Reports

Social Links