Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

Pictures of Imperial Guard Collection

Discussion of anything 40K related

Pictures of Imperial Guard Collection

Postby KInG » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:24 pm

With the combination of the new guard codex not really inspiring me, and being bored this evening, I thought I would get my collection out and see what options I have available to me and see if there's anything new I might add to spice it up a bit.

I wish I hadn't bothered now. All I can see if a mountain of grey plastic and broken models!!! Might just put them away and make a Imp Knight army list instead. :(

If you have any ideas on how to I can get enthused, I'm all ears.

ImageImageImage
www.GamingFigures.com & http://www.AgeofStrife.com 15% off GW models 10% off FoW & GF9 - extra 1% off orders £100+ & 2% off orders £250+ with FREE UK SHIPPING now added
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Medals: 2
Painting Entrant (2)

Re: Pictures of Imperial Guard Collection

Postby skywalker » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:50 pm

Set yourself some goals with a reward for reaching each one. Eg this week I will get two of my fliers painted and if you stay focused a man of your caliber should get the whole lot done in no time :lol: :lol:
skywalker
Cannon Fodder

Postby _stu_ » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:06 pm

41st millennium descendants of your bolt action guys? Means you can paint both forces at the same time....
_stu_
Darth Addictus
Veteran Sergeant

Medals: 16
Anvil's Hammer - 2nd Place (1) Gold Wreath (1) Gold (3) Silver (4) Painting Entrant (7)

Postby BDA » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:58 pm

i often swap between armies or systems to keep things fresh. also a simple paint job is a good idea. grey or green with a dark wash and some highlights might go down well and get nice results quickly. :)
BDA
Exarch
Exarch

Postby BDA » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:02 pm

a few good war movies might help to lol
BDA
Exarch
Exarch

Postby KInG » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:17 am

BDA wrote:a few good war movies might help to lol

Lol. I'll try that.
www.GamingFigures.com & http://www.AgeofStrife.com 15% off GW models 10% off FoW & GF9 - extra 1% off orders £100+ & 2% off orders £250+ with FREE UK SHIPPING now added
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby Angelwing » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:18 am

Start up an escalation campaign. Start with a 500pt list, get it painted so you can play. Add 250 pts each week, but they must be painted before you can use them! Aim for a campaign climax by adding a super heavy to your final list. When adding stuff, alternate between troop unit and vehicle.

The pile of unpainted stuff looks intimidating and never ending. How much of that are you realistically going to field all at once? Do you really need all those russ hulls for example? I own three and its very rare I'd field more than two at a time. One of them has three alternate turrets. Sell off some of the stuff you'll never paint or use.

As to an imperial knight army, sure that will look cool on the shelf, but in reality just how many times will it get used? How fed up of painting the things will you be before you finish the army?
Angelwing
Zoanthrope
Zoanthrope

Medals: 17
Gold (5) Silver (1) Painting Entrant (11)

Postby Darklighter » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:37 am

I'd love to have that much guard! If you can get enough painted for an Apoc game I'd play you for a AOS battle report. But Now would be the perfect time to get traction on the Youtube page. If you do a painting log on there with tutorials, showcases and battle reports you'd be laughing! With them being a new codex army you gain a lot of followers that would stay for the long haul. and you never know you may find you've missed a few trick with your first look through the codex.
What, no image sigs!
Darklighter
Shas'el
Shas'el

Medals: 19
Gold (3) Silver (2) Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (13)

Postby Spack » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:17 pm

Just give up now Nige. You have no chance of getting over your mid life crisis. Box all that junk up and put it in the post to my house, and I'll recycle it for you at a fraction of my normal rates ... *cough*
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (1)
Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby KInG » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:38 pm

Very good advice gents, thanks.

There is more IG I've discovered since taking the picture. Long barrelled AC turrets, imperial bomber from FW and more troop on sprues.

... Not using models in games doesn't bother me so much because I have always considered the Guard as 'my collection'. The one army that I would just buy units for to have the full range, whether it be FW or GW lol Still a long way to go.

If you look closely at the pictures there's not a lot of troopers; the ordinary guys. I feel I need to make 50 men up to give me the option of a conscript unit or two.

I think for starters, I will just look to get these boxed up in their new KR boxes/trays. Get the boxes labelled and find a place to put them all; together. At the moment they are in cardboard boxes and spread throughout the man cave. I may need to put up some more shelves :(

As I rehouse them I will dust/clean them off, fix all the broken ones, and magnetise all the ones I didn't do correctly, or at all.... Then they will be out of site and I can forget about them..... lol only kidding.

I like AWs idea of an escalating campaign, but don't have anyone to do that with, so I will write a new list for the guard.. one that uses the majority of my old list and add a couple of units at a time to give me some focus and get them ones painted first. But I want the troopers involved a lot more this time, so while that's going on, as a side project, I'm going to make up all the guardsmen box sets and sprues I have too. They can then be introduced as a unit to be painted further along.

This will keep me going for sometime to come... meaning all else will be neglected if I don't mix it up. I need to consider this 'collection' as an on going side thing. Something where I paint a unit for it along side any other project I have on at the same time.

Another thought has just popped into my head... maybe I should sell something, I have far too much stuff... my GKs would be the first to go I think :(
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby KInG » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:39 pm

lol no thx Dan :)
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby Darklighter » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:46 pm

Nige if you make it a monthly target not weekly I'd join you in an escalation style painting/gaming log. I've still got plenty of Tau to make and paint and if I run out of them before you run out of Guard I've got even more BA's to do!
What, no image sigs!
Darklighter
Shas'el
Shas'el

Medals: 19
Gold (3) Silver (2) Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (13)

Postby KInG » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:02 pm

cool, this could be actually just what I need to get motivated...

it could also be your excuse to buy even more shiz for your Tau ;)

manta, did I hear someone say? lol
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby Jay » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:39 pm

I'll join in purely for the push to paint, a AoS Guard paint therapy group you might say
Jay
Veteran
Veteran

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Herne » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:16 pm

R U guys in the same vicinity? I feel a 'tale of 4 gamers' style log coming on - You could agree a painting target for the month, paint it up, play a game with it and then escalate the points each month - perhaps video bat reps focussing in part on the painting and part on the consequent game....
My Gallery: http://www.ageofstrife.com/gallery/Herne

Nightbringer wrote:I like Amy Winehouse` music, although she looks like a Whippet in a bin bag.... 8)
Herne
Occasional brush wielder
Sorceror

Medals: 10
Anvil's Hammer - 1st Place (1) Gold (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)

Next

Return to 40K Discussion

Social Links