Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

W40K - Painting Campaign Blog

Discussion of anything 40K related

W40K - Painting Campaign Blog

Postby KInG » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:38 pm

Hope that title is appropriate... feel free to offer any changes.

Ok, this thread is all about painting your army. If you live close enough to some of the participants, then like our little group of three so far, you can also play a campaign/games with the painted models at the target stages.

That is the very brief and rough outline of what were trying to do here... But it is by no means finalised, and I think the first part of the thread should be about trying to firm up how it will work.

My initial thoughts on that were:

1. We agree the targets and timescales.

I'll propose the following for that end.

1st period (1 month from start) - 500 points (1 hq and 2-3 troops, then any points left over, 0-1 of the other choices)
2nd period (2 months from start) - 1000 points (1-2 hq and 2-4 troops, then 0-2 of the other slots)
3rd period (3 months from start) - 1500 points (normal FoC)
4th period (4 months from start) - 2000 points (normal FoC incl allies if you want to paint something else)

2. We show the models we are using before we start painting. This will mean we all do a list and then post it up for everyone to see, with pictures of unpainted models. Thus proving we didn't just use models we had painted already, etc.

3. We can have breaks of a week between periods to sort out next list and do other stuff. I suggest minimum 1 week.

4. Anyone who can play together arranges games in the breaks and does battle reports, pictures, results and progresses any campaign story.

That's about as far as I've thought it through up to now. The campaign bit, for anyone able to game, needs work on it also... This is were I sit down and listen, as I have very little experience.
www.GamingFigures.com & http://www.AgeofStrife.com 15% off GW models 10% off FoW & GF9 - extra 1% off orders £100+ & 2% off orders £250+ with FREE UK SHIPPING now added
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Medals: 2
Painting Entrant (2)

Re: W40K - Painting Campaign Blog

Postby Darklighter » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:54 pm

I don't think we need to limit or enforce FOC per month (past the first months need for a HQ and two Troops min). I for one will have trouble finding more than 2 squads of troops. I'm happy to do the shorter 4 month run rather than the initial 7 month run I'd proposed. But with large guard squads being so cheep will people be able to paint that many infantry models?
I'll get to taking a large group shot of my Tau to do list. Not all are unpainted though as I still have some units that need a repaint. Like my stealth suits, drones, ethereal honour guard and some kroot models.
I'm not sure what you mean by breaks. I'll often not paint for weeks then cram a months worth of painting into an evening of fury and mayhem!
I'm going to attempt to take photo's and write a battle report each time we play. I'll try to add a narrative slant to it.... But that's not really where my skill set lies so we'll have to see if I can pull that off!

I'm guessing we are going for a May 1st start date on this? I'll bug Pete some more and see if I can get him to post on here soon (he's having computer trouble).
What, no image sigs!
Darklighter
Shas'el
Shas'el

Medals: 19
Gold (3) Silver (2) Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (13)

Postby Jay » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:27 pm

I have to agree with dark lighter on enforcing as my hobby times changes each month however a minimum quota works for me.
Jay
Veteran
Veteran

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby timewizard » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:29 pm

Just a quick thought here Nige, when you say unpainted models, would models set to be re-painted qualify as well?

I'm sure some people might want to re-paint their force into a new color scheme, like going from smurfs to BA or the like.
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Medals: 11
Gold Wreath (1) Gold (1) Silver Wreath (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby KInG » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:03 am

@ Jay - well we don't want to be having the first 500pts take 3 months to paint do we? otherwise its gonna be years before I paint these up. I could do them quicker under my own regime. This is supposed to encourage us to do them quickly.

Probably the best thing to do is ask, working at the slowest's pace, how long you both will need to ensure you get the first target 500pts painted. :)

@TW - sure, anyone painting an army from scratch really, or a large proportion of an army, be it from grey plastic or primer is irrelevant. ;)

I started thinking about what I would like to be my first 500pts last night. Having decided I would like the ability when I'm done to field a infantry heavy list OR a tank heavy list, I decided to get stuck into the infantry side first.

I already have a painted command squad, so in keeping with the painting campaign I pulled out an unpainted one. I then thought, even though I have 50 painted infantry, that wont be enough down the line so started assembling 40 more guardsmen.

So again, I find myself in a situation of negativity. I already had a pile of grey plastic and now I have even more!!!!!

www.GamingFigures.com & http://www.AgeofStrife.com 15% off GW models 10% off FoW & GF9 - extra 1% off orders £100+ & 2% off orders £250+ with FREE UK SHIPPING now added
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby Jay » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:19 am

Fair point, ok I'll match you! I'm aiming for 3 Troop choices (regular platoons) and a command squad.
Please excuse my chaotic spelling and grammar, I am Dyslexic, to my friends that means I am retarded and should always wear my water wings and helmet.

Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast
Jay
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Darklighter » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:37 pm

Well here is a picture of my to do pile! Image

I've got a list for the first month.

HQ
Ethereal, two equalisers.

Troop
Kroot carnivore squad, 14 models. 1 shaper, 1 hound, 12 troop. Sniper rounds.
Kroot carnivore squad, 14 models. 1 shaper with pule rifle, 1 hound, 12 troop. Sniper rounds.

Heavy
Broadside battle suits, 3 models. rail rifles, plasma rifles, advanced targeting systems.

Also after saying I'd be short on troops I have found two full squads of fire warriors waiting to be done as well as these Kroot! They'll wait for month two round though. I'll post picture of just this months models once they are made and ready for paint as it's almost all spru at the moment!
What, no image sigs!
Darklighter
Shas'el
Shas'el

Postby KInG » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:10 pm

I'm thinking I might need to reduce the number of troops and throw in some armour. I don't wanna over reach this first period. I'll finalise my 500 points tmw.
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby Darklighter » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:08 pm

I was going to do more troops but as I've got my entry for next months painting comp to do as well I thought I'd keep it a little lighter on the model count.
What, no image sigs!
Darklighter
Shas'el
Shas'el

Postby Angelwing » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:59 am

well i won't be matching anyone until the rest of the tyranids are done. Also, 500pts is half my army, haha!
I'll post a picture of the stuff as and when, and what I get done, but there is no hurry from my end.
Angelwing
Zoanthrope
Zoanthrope

Medals: 17
Gold (5) Silver (1) Painting Entrant (11)

Postby KInG » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:25 am

Ok then for now I'll just keep making the models I have laying around. I've got some more chimera chassis and leman Russ too. I'm making the chimeras so they can take a basilisk or manticore turret so they will have no backs on them. The leman Russ will also be turret less but will have sponsons this time.

Also found a few fw bits and turrets to make. That should keep me going for a little while, while you guys finish up your short term projects.
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby Darklighter » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:38 am

Yeah I've got my kroot all stuck together and I'm thinking about how to build my Broadsides... I was going to do some clever magnetizing for the main weapons, but I've decided that they'll just be rail rifles as they just look better on the new suits. I know missile-sides are better in general, but I'll get more of them later on I think.
What, no image sigs!
Darklighter
Shas'el
Shas'el

Postby Jay » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:39 pm

On the infantry front I am awaiting the release of some bits to complete the look I want for infantry so when it comes to painting I'll be missing some 20 odd legs. They come out in May so within luck I'll have them before the close the month :)
Please excuse my chaotic spelling and grammar, I am Dyslexic, to my friends that means I am retarded and should always wear my water wings and helmet.

Jay
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Jay » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:19 am

Well I must say prepping my guard is no fun! hundreds of heads and torsos to clean of mould lines!!! argh

Jay
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Darklighter » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:14 pm

I hate cleaning mould lines up. In the models I'm repainting I've had to go back in and clean them up as I've just not bothered at all the first time around, lol.
What, no image sigs!
Darklighter
Shas'el
Shas'el

Next

Return to 40K Discussion

Social Links