Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

Epic Game - Star Wars Xwing

6.45pm Monday - Downley community centre, School close, Downley HP13 5TR

Moderators: BigJim, Jimster

Epic Game - Star Wars Xwing

Postby DaBoss » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:33 am

Played a big game of Xwing this weekend, 400pts per side on a 6' x 4' table.

I was on the Rebel side as I wanted to take the Tantive Corvette (sorry no photos - forgot camera)
Rebel Force consisted of:
CR-90 Corvette
X-wing - Luke Skywalker with R2-D2
2 x X-wing (Pilot 2)
1 x A-Wing (Pilot 1)
1 x B-Wing (Pilot 2)
1 x Y-Wing (Pilot 2)
2 x E-Wing (Pilot 1)
4 x Z-95 Headhunters (Pilot 2)
A few upgrades mostly Photon & Flechette Torps

Imperial Force consisted of:
4 x Tie Fighters + Howlrunner
2 x Tie Bombers + Major Rhymer
2 x Tie Interceptors
1 x Tie Advanced
3 x Tie Defenders
1 x Tie Phantom
1 x Firespray Kath Scarlet
A lot of the Imperials had high Pilot Skill compared to the Rebels

Took three turns before any combat started - the swarm of Tie Fighters faced off the bulk of the Rebel ships, finding themselves outgunned but last 3 turns of combat.
Meanwhile the Z-95 Headhunters and Tantive took on the rest of the Imperials; the Imperials decided to ignore the Z-95 and concentrate all fire power at short range on the Corvette - first round saw the Tie Bommbers Advanced Photon Torps strip the Corvette of shields then the other 7 ships blasted the front down by 6 hull points including 2 criticals.
The Corvette juddered forward smashing straight through 2 Bombers and a Defender but incurred two more hits disabling the Front section for its troubles.

The Imperial ships scrambled out of the way to avoid any more collisions, circled round to the rear and next round disabled the rear section again with concentrated fire.

We were now down to:
2 x Tie Defenders, 1 x Tie Phantom, 1 x Tie Advanced, 1 x Tie Interceptor, 1 x Tie Fighter and Kath Scarlet
facing
Luke Skywalker, 2 x Xwing, 1 x Awing, 1 x Ywing, 1 x Bwing, 2 x Ewing, 2 x Z-95

Even odds - but unfortunately for the Imperials a number of ships were damaged and the next round saw the Rebels (who had only lost shields) pick apart the softened targets.
In a blaze of very precise fire the Rebels destroyed everything but 1 x Tie Defender and 1 x Tie Phantom.
We called it a game - Rebel Victory.

It was amazing how much punishment the Corvette can take, but agree it needed to die.
Tie Defenders are very good ships, expensive but good.
Tie Phantom is really hard to target and when you do has plenty of saves, especially with the Advanced Cloak!
Both the new Z-95 and the Ewing stand out as really good assets for the Rebels, the Z-95 basic ship @12pts is crazy good (I had put Missiles on them but never managed to shoot them!), especially when they are ignored over other ships.
While the Ewings took plenty of punishment, they may cost the points but are sure better than X-wings.

Next time I'll be taking on the mantel of the Imperials - need to get hold of Imperial Aces and maybe add another Tie Defender to the one I've already got plus Howlrunner to ride along with the Tie Swarm.
DaBoss
Junior Officer
Junior Officer

Blog: View Blog (43)

Re: Epic Game - Star Wars Xwing

Postby Ljundhammer » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:45 am

Sounds fun.

I've not played a game that big yet. At 200/300 points the CR-90 is a beast to take down - well done for getting shot down!

I'm not sure that AoS is ready for a proper game like X Wing yet!
When in deadly danger
When beset by doubt
Run in little circles
Wave your arms and shout
- parody of the litany of command
Ljundhammer
Brother-Captain
Brother-Captain

Return to Armageddon Inc

Social Links