Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

Markb's DzC (and Friends) Blog

For members to post long running threads about projects they are working on

Re: Markb's DzC Plog

Postby markb » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:57 pm

Thanks Chris.

Yeah, definately be down the club for a few games. Get home on Sunday so won't make Monday night but am going to try and make Thursday
"The guns have stopped because we are at last about to attack. Even our generals aren't mad enough to shell their own men, they think its far more sporting to let the Germans do it!"

Capt Edmund Blackadder, the Somme, 1917.

markb
Captain
Captain

Location: On a high plains desert somewhere near Uzbekistan, lets leave it at that
Medals: 1
Painting Entrant (1)

Postby cgra1 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:39 pm

Cool im playing resistance Monday. Ill try and get a starter game for Thursday as well if you like.
cgra1

Postby markb » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:13 am

Sounds good to me. :)
"The guns have stopped because we are at last about to attack. Even our generals aren't mad enough to shell their own men, they think its far more sporting to let the Germans do it!"

markb
Captain
Captain

Location: On a high plains desert somewhere near Uzbekistan, lets leave it at that
Painting Entrant (1)

Postby markb » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:23 pm

Well as promised I'm doing something different while I'm at home. I took a trip to my favourite place today, B&Q. For those overseas it's like Home Depot only with more special staff. Whilst there I invested in 3 sheets of 4x2 3mm hardboard. I got the very helpful, and only slightly special, man to cut it in to 1' squares. I also got hold of some mounting board.

I have already made a start on my first test board, a crossroads section from Ruinscape. I cut the pavement sections out and glued them on to the mounting board and then glued them and the road on to a 1' section. It is currently drying out and once it is, and I have trimmed the overhang down (due to the cutting process the sections are slightly under 1') I will post some pictures up. Once it is all dry I will start flocking it.

markb
Captain
Captain

Painting Entrant (1)

Postby markb » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:17 pm

As promised here is my test board. I'm quite happy with the results.

The second picture hopefully shows the raised kerb and pavement. The whole thing didn't take as long as I thought it would, only about 2 or 3 hours. I'm thinking of adding some static grass in a few places, unfortunately the stuff I have is a bit too bright so doesn't quite go, as well as some of the Army Painter clump foliage.

Comments and criricism are welcome.

markb
Captain
Captain

Painting Entrant (1)

Postby timewizard » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:36 pm

Looks cool Mark.
How playable is it? Any issue with buildings or terrain being placed on it?
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Medals: 11
Gold Wreath (1) Gold (1) Silver Wreath (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby markb » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:26 pm

Thanks TW.

That was one of my big concerns that the buildings wouldn't sit right on the flock but it's actually fine, the flock isnt really that raised from the board. I'm going to make some throw on terrain as well to place over the flower beds and things like that. Another thing I'm going to do is use some FoW bases to make thicker clums of shrubbery and little trees As well as get some N gauge cars off eBay and put them on bases to scatter around.

I'm also thinking of on the next ones I do of painting the curbs in as the mounting board stand out a bit.

markb
Captain
Captain

Painting Entrant (1)

Postby cgra1 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:44 am

Looking good Mark.
That's a fair bit of flock though. Is it a blend or straight from the packet?
cgra1

Postby markb » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:30 am

Cheers, Chris. It's just the Gale Force 9 Summer Blend straight out of the packet. I think I may go through a fair bit of flock doing a full table, especially when I get around to doing the buildings as well!

markb
Captain
Captain

Painting Entrant (1)

Re: Markb's DzC (and Friends) Blog

Postby markb » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:49 am

I've decided to open the blog up to include all my other projects as well so here is the first non DzC thing. It's my first finished Brit 11th Armoured MG team. Well, almost finished as I haven't done the base yet due to me not actually having any basing materials! They are the PSC models, which are quite nice with a lot of detail on them. As usual my OCD kicked in so I went a bit overboard on the detailing including the rank stripes, regimental and divisional markings on the uniforms! I'm quite happy with the results, the only thing I'm not happy with is the bittiness. This was caused by the undercoat, I used the PSC British Uniform. I'm not sure if it was the undercoat itself or my fault due to being too close/too heavy when applying it. Still, unless you get up really close you can't really tell. Let me know what you all think.

markb
Captain
Captain

Painting Entrant (1)

Postby Angelwing » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:36 am

They look great. My only minor niggle is that the base looks like its thick wet oozing mud, but the men are standing on top without sinking in. It's one of those ' something is wrong but I can't tell what it is' things that is tiny, but the mind knows something doesn't gel.
Angelwing
Zoanthrope
Zoanthrope

Medals: 17
Gold (5) Silver (1) Painting Entrant (11)

Postby markb » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:57 am

Thanks. Yeah, like I said the base isn't done yet. When I get back home I'll add sand and staatic grass to finish it off.

markb
Captain
Captain

Painting Entrant (1)

Postby markb » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:33 am

Been nearly a month since I updated the blog but I haven't been idle! First up is my finished Scourge Warriors, these took a lot longer than I anticipated however I think it was woth it. The bases aren't finished yet but as I don't have any flock they will have to wait until next month when I get home. They are the plastic ones from the starter set but I think these models prove that, despite them not being as detailed as the metal ones, with a bit of effort you can get them looking quite good.

Then we have my completed Brit Armoured Infantry platoon for Flames of War. Ok, I know they don't have the actual armour with them yet but go with me on this! Again the bases aren't complete but I am happy with the results. I think the PSC models are better than the metal FoW ones, and a lot cheaper to boot!

The Brits didn't take me as long as you'd think, maybe an hour per model, but the Scourge took forever! Still as I said I am quite happy with the results. Let me know what you all think, as always criticism and comments are welcome.

markb
Captain
Captain

Painting Entrant (1)

PostThis post was deleted by markb on Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:48 am.

Postby markb » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:12 am

Well it's been a while but I've finally got around to doing some more painting! Here is my test miniature for my Ariadnan Caledonian Highlanders for Infinity. I'm fairly happy with the result but a few things I may need to change for the rest of the models, mainly on the tartan. I don't think I'll use the same colour for the bits where the cross pattern meets as the base colour as it doesn't stand out. Also I think when I did the extreme highlight on the skin it's a bit to extreme! I used Pallid Wych Flesh as the final highlight over Kislev Flesh. I think I may need to do a 50/50 mix so it's not quite as harsh.

Anyway, let me know what you all think.

ImageImageImage

markb
Captain
Captain

Painting Entrant (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Project Logs

Social Links