Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

When does ANYBODY Heavy bolter?

Army lists, battle reports, and discussion of tactics

When does ANYBODY Heavy bolter?

Postby killmaimburn » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:41 pm

MEQ guys I mean..
termies asscan.. guard autocannon (for the added AV)..oh tanks and speeders heavy bolter. Xenos have their own trippy stuff with their own rules.
But when does any one astrates type, since 5th edition cover came out, field infantry (as in foot based-special elite or scrub) with heavy bolters?
What combo..

Bonus points if meq.
Bonus points if used seriously rather than just for comp points.
Minus 30 points if its some misreading of sternguard ammo or something 5 years on.

I just realised I live in an era where
a) games are pretty sparce around the place
b) I see more plasma cannons than I do heavy bolters.
[In fact its been 3 years since I last fielded one and it was the UM scout with poisoned blast template heavy bolter...not very heavy bolter really)

If you sympathise but don't have anything helpful to say.. then you must post some sort of inoffensive spam.
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: When does ANYBODY Heavy bolter?

Postby Ljundhammer » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:47 pm

I've just plugged in my old belkin wireless router - it's far faster than the crap BT sent me!

Just need to work out Netflix and then the US hack and I'll be free of my sky pangs forever (except for motors tv, must get that too)
When in deadly danger
When beset by doubt
Run in little circles
Wave your arms and shout
- parody of the litany of command
Ljundhammer
Brother-Captain
Brother-Captain

Postby Socaddict » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:54 pm

What about if you still play 2nd edition, where MEQs with HBs were a thing to be feared...
Waaargh.
Orks project log here
Socaddict
Mekboy
Warlord

Medals: 2
Painting Entrant (2)

Postby Bob_to_Some » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:05 pm

My havocs use 2, i have ML, LC and 2 HB - its worked out pretty well so far.

It helps deal with mass infantry and tanks (Fliers, meh I have storm eagle and helldrake for those)
Bob_to_Some
Chosen
Chosen

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Angelwing » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:28 pm

got a few in my guard army, my marines have them on the speeder and landraider, battle sisters have a load.
Angelwing
Zoanthrope
Zoanthrope

Medals: 17
Gold (5) Silver (1) Painting Entrant (11)

Postby KInG » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:30 pm

That's not on your infantry though AW.

Are you asking why do ppl not use HBs anymore? I hadn't realised they ever did to be fair. It's the weakest hw option.

I used a lot once when I knew who my enemy was going to be, but for an Al comer list it's not a reliable option for infantry.
KInG
Archon
Archon

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby timewizard » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:08 am

I agree. There are many other weapons available in the arsenal that are more effective against very specific threats. Even more so in 6th.

I take them on my speeders because they come standard and I found the other options to be less than satisfactory.

Other than that, they are not really a viable weapon anymore.
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Medals: 11
Gold Wreath (1) Gold (1) Silver Wreath (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Darklighter » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:02 am

Unless you are tailoring for an oponant there is no way at all you'd ever take a heavy bolter in a squad when a missile launcher is a much better all rounder (exept for scouts). Although a full 10 man Heresy squad armed with heavy bolters seems like a much more apealing unit.
What, no image sigs!
Darklighter
Shas'el
Shas'el

Medals: 19
Gold (3) Silver (2) Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (13)

Postby killmaimburn » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:14 am

KInG wrote:Are you asking why do ppl not use HBs anymore? I hadn't realised they ever did to be fair. It's the weakest hw option.

Socaddict wrote:What about if you still play 2nd edition, where MEQs with HBs were a thing to be feared...
Even later than that I reckon.. 4th eds wound wrapping rewarded volume of fire, so being able to pump out lots of shots and guaranteeing each model had to make a save was THE BRUTAL sniping of 4th ed. Cover being much less useful meant that GEQ infantry armies actually did melt away to bolter fire.
Bob_to_Some wrote:My havocs use 2, i have ML, LC and 2 HB - its worked out pretty well so far.
Mixed weapon units still just make me cry I'm afraid :D

I (and my 8 heavy bolter infantry men) lament the loss of the role on the table,maybe heavy weapon squads should come with it by default and have to upgrade to the other weapons :?:
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Postby KInG » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:41 pm

Why, they would just upgrade then. :/
www.GamingFigures.com & http://www.AgeofStrife.com 15% off GW models 10% off FoW & GF9 - extra 1% off orders £100+ & 2% off orders £250+ with FREE UK SHIPPING now added
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby killmaimburn » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:01 pm

Well i mean for pretty much the same price for the unit.. as it stands in most codexs I can think of, the weapon is priced far to close to weapons that are superior to it.
Fluffwise it would make sense too, having heavy weapon squads that actually by default come with a heavy weapon.
(for king.. I'm saying make them cheap in a really simple way)
Barely even lurking..
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Postby Angelwing » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:59 pm

KInG wrote:That's not on your infantry though AW.

Guard: 1 infantry squad has one, and I have a heavy weapon team unit with them; my battle sisters are similar, an infantry unit with one, a retributer squad with 4 and a retributer squad with 2 h bolters and 2 m meltas.
I'm also in the middle of painting up sergeant harker for a veterans squad, so thats another one.
In the guard the autocannon is blatantly better. For marines, I know I'd rather take an assault cannon on a vehicle, or missile launchers on infantry. Battle sisters are between a rock and a hard place, but I normally field the 4 h bolters over the 4 multi meltas, but preferably units both at once.
Angelwing
Zoanthrope
Zoanthrope

Postby BDA » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:55 pm

I love taking HB for my Dev squads just cos of the number of shots they pump out, very handy for dealing with hordes and small units of MEQ not to mention glancing light vhecles to death. Best of all no one takes them serious so they don't tend to try and deal with them that much.
BDA
Exarch
Exarch

Postby Darklighter » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:29 pm

I can see the use for them, just always find other option more attractive. I generally need my heavy slots for tank killing weaponry.... I know with unbound this need not be a problem, but you can't play like that all the time in competition.
What, no image sigs!
Darklighter
Shas'el
Shas'el

Medals: 19
Gold (3) Silver (2) Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (13)

Postby Angelwing » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:54 am

Well as its been nearly 2 years since I last replied to this thread..;) My answer regarding my armies that have heavy bolters isn't any different as those armies are virtually unchanged. I guess the one exception is my battle sisters, who now go all mechanised, so heavy bolter retributers sit in the case.

With the new marine codex (and game edition) are there any new tricks to warrant heavy bolters? Any cunning mix of chapter tactics and formations?
Angelwing
Zoanthrope
Zoanthrope

Next

Return to 40K Tactica

Social Links