Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

New WFB Up for Advance Order

News & rumours for Warhammer

New WFB Up for Advance Order

Postby markb » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:40 pm

As the title says, it's up on the GW website for advance order. I had a quick look and all I can say is WTF? What have they done to it? It looks like they have completely ripped the whole thing apart and started again. While this may be welcome I will reserve judgement on it. To me it looks like they have gone for a more skirmish feel than the massed combat game. The modles look nice but I want to see what they have done with the fluff.

I am intrigued, whether I am intrigued enough to actually start giving GW my money again though remains to be seen. What are your thoughts on it?
"The guns have stopped because we are at last about to attack. Even our generals aren't mad enough to shell their own men, they think its far more sporting to let the Germans do it!"

Capt Edmund Blackadder, the Somme, 1917.

markb
Captain
Captain

Location: On a high plains desert somewhere near Uzbekistan, lets leave it at that
Medals: 1
Painting Entrant (1)

Re: New WFB Up for Advance Order

Postby Baragash » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:30 pm

No points values?
No army selection?
Amateur dramatic rules?

Nah.

I'll play Darklands for a game of this particular scale, but otherwise Malifaux, X-wing and Batman thanks. No moustaches required.
My Hobby Blog!
My Painting & Modelling Blog!
Gallery
"The Emperor is obviously not a dictator, he's a couch."
Starbuck: "Why can't we use the starboard launch bays?"
Engineer: "Because it's a gift shop!"
Baragash
Sorceror
Sorceror

Blog: View Blog (21)

Postby Angelwing » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:21 pm

its... a bit odd. I can't tell if GW is being deadly serious with the off the wall bonus rules to create a fun game, or if they are deliberately trolling veterans to make them go away.
I am pleased that all the rules are free, including the armies (waiting to see if FW gives us warscrolls for the chaos dwarfs though) so I can try it out without cost.
Unfortunately I can't use my beard and moustache to get special rules as none of my factions use that mechanic.
I know there is an element of 'I don't like change!' but the lack of points or army selection, and the measuring of models not bases is very strange.
The player base has been asking for a shake up of the rules, a skirmish rule set and free rules for years. Be careful what you wish for. And grow a 'tash, practice dancing and shouting, wear sunglasses and carry a mirror.
Angelwing
Zoanthrope
Zoanthrope

Medals: 17
Gold (5) Silver (1) Painting Entrant (11)

Postby Darklighter » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:58 am

I'm really excited by it and I'm up for starting an army. The rumours I've heard is that they will have points cost and the war scrolls are like data slates, that also don't have points costs on them.... But we'll have to wait and see.
What, no image sigs!
Darklighter
Shas'el
Shas'el

Medals: 19
Gold (3) Silver (2) Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (13)

Postby mattjgilbert » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:13 pm

There's no points costs coming I'm afraid. This is it.

There will be campaign books and new scenarios but otherwise what you currently see is what you get. Oh, and space marines and their chapters added to the mix too. With deep strike.

It's a play-once-in-a-while light-hearted GW version of munchkin. And utterly unbalanced and broken. The sigmarines just boarded the Dreadfleet.

Even kids (which let's be frank, is who this is aimed at) want some degree of balance in a game. With no balance and the game in the shocking state it is, it's a insult to anyone who has spent £££ on models and hundreds of man-hours painting and building armies. The rules are also designed to instigate an arms race for new collectors and instill a pay-to-win environment which just means the kids whose parents can afford more models can put more on the table and stomp all over their mates.

Nice one GW.

How long until they smack 40K with a similar bat?
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby paulmc » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:26 pm

I can't decide whether this is a stroke of genius or lunacy, I guess time will tell. My first game is this coming Thursday so hopefully it will be enjoyable to play. If it isn't though I will play 8th edition which I'm quite enjoying.
My first impression is that this could be an excellent entry level game for kids, I just hope that it's simplicity is enjoyed and not taken advantage of
paulmc
Slugga Boy
Slugga Boy

Postby mattjgilbert » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:34 am

Hmmm... apparently the wacky rules are deliberate according to GW staff at the forge world open day. They only apply to the old armies and not the new ones. It seems to be an attempt to get the old collections (and players who will not like AoS) dropped and out the picture. A bit ruthless but if you look at it objectively from the business pov it sort of makes sense.

But only if you can replace those players and get a whole load new ones in to support the new game!
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby markb » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:04 pm

Matt, if that is the case then GW can seriously GTFO! I was debating, as I said above, whether to get it. They can do one. As I said when 7th ed 40K was released, me and GW are done. I'm even thinking of selling all my GW armies now, despite how much time and money I have invested in them. Sad, but my final bit of optimism I had for them has now gone, 23 years of history over!
"The guns have stopped because we are at last about to attack. Even our generals aren't mad enough to shell their own men, they think its far more sporting to let the Germans do it!"

Capt Edmund Blackadder, the Somme, 1917.

markb
Captain
Captain

Location: On a high plains desert somewhere near Uzbekistan, lets leave it at that
Medals: 1
Painting Entrant (1)

Postby mattjgilbert » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:42 pm

mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby Darklighter » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:37 pm

I think they will definitely get new blood involved. I'm 100% going for this new system... I'll have to wait for pay day though as I've not got the funds for a pre-order :(
What, no image sigs!
Darklighter
Shas'el
Shas'el

Medals: 19
Gold (3) Silver (2) Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (13)

Postby Angelwing » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:18 pm

The new GW lenton frontage now looks a bit less fascist.
Angelwing
Zoanthrope
Zoanthrope

Medals: 17
Gold (5) Silver (1) Painting Entrant (11)

Postby Taumaul » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:56 pm

I must admit I like what GW have done with this. I was sceptical at first but now I think its the way forward for GW.

Lets all be honest, Warhammer was dead in the water and needed a complete overhaul. It has reigned for over 30 years but now its time is over. It is now time to evolve into something completely new and modern.

Yes, we all spend £1000's on miniatures over the years, but don't forget we also replace our cars and or our computers (that we spend £1000's on) after several years as they either become old and worn out or technology has moved on and the one you own is now outdated and not suitable for your needs. This is how I see Age of Sigmar, A New Beginning.

Yes it will upset people, but hell, change will always upset people.

I believe this game is for all ages, not just kids. The fact that GW have actually posted up rules for existing armies for FREE would suggest this. They could have easily have scrapped all Warhammer armies when the world was destroyed by Chaos, but no, they have stuck by existing players to be able to carry on playing in the new edition.

If people want to carry on playing the current edition, then go for it. Look at Blood Bowl, its now run by the gaming community and is growing in popularity.

This is going to be a refreshing change and it will allow players to play the game with any number of figures that they posses and not necessarily on a large scale like Warhammer was. And you don't need to break the bank to be able to play the game.

Ultimately, I think GW have made a bold and courageous move and one I think will pay off.

We all, have the rules available to us and probably already own some models. So lets just go away and play a few small games and have fun.

Wow! Think that must be my longest post ever.
Taumaul
GamingFigures
Warlord

Postby Stryder » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:17 pm

Only time will tell on this to see how it rolls
Stryder

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby paulmc » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:10 pm

Popped into GW middlesbough this afty, quite busy for an afternoon. 8 people playing AoS, 3 spectators and two bemused mothers buying for their children. Apparently Saturday was very busy with everyone playing AoS. According to the workers it was about 80% positive 20% negative amongst Saturdays crowd, but everyone who actually played on Saturday loved it. Spoke with the staf about what's coming next, is AoS standalone, is there a big rulebook coming..... Main thing is, THIS IS IT for warhammer. There is no 9th edition coming round the corner with movement trays and lots of rules and points. The game is going to expand using campaign books and scenarios. New models are coming but existing models will b released with both round and square bases in the future. The fantasy range is moving to white boxes but the sculpts are remaining. They expect to support new players and old as there is no plans to get rid of square bases yet. Main criticism seems to be of balance, the most common comments were along the lines of "well I will go and buy 30 bloodthirsters and win every game" to which staff would respond with "please do, make my company lots of money". As it was pointed out no one has that many uber models, (well maybe Mr King) and balance seemed to work fine with players just picking favourite units and going for it.
First game for me tomorrow night, so will post how it plays
paulmc
Slugga Boy
Slugga Boy

Postby Stryder » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:19 pm

I'll be keeping an eye on it because if it plays good I am expanding my Khorne Daemons and I'm willing to try
Stryder

Blog: View Blog (4)

Next

Return to WFB News & Rumours

Social Links