Login

Username:

Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

Fitness plateau that I can't get out of.

Discuss what you like

Fitness plateau that I can't get out of.

Postby RotweillerofJustice » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:49 pm

Right then troops. At 44 I should really know better but earlier this year I went back to the army reserves.
I'm a big fella but I'm fit with it. Currently I'm weighing in at 15st 5lbs and six foot tall. However this gives me a rough BMI of about 29.5 and I need a target BMI of 28 to pass selection. (Highly annoying as the military doctor passed me as fit but because I'm not in the required BMI range he had to mark me as medically unfit for PT!)
Despite running my arse off, cycling and doing weight and circuit training as well as getting beasted on my Tuesday evening drill night I'm not losing anymore weight. It's bloody frustrating to say the least.
So my question is. Do any of you guys have any tips to shift the last few pounds of weight to get me in range? Any training tips from any of you that are gym bunnies. Any health food tips? Any advice welcome.
RotweillerofJustice
Shas'ui
Shas'ui

Medals: 6
Silver (1) Painting Entrant (5)

Re: Fitness plateau that I can't get out of.

Postby Darklighter » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:47 pm

It'd be easy to just say eat less.... But without knowing what you are currently eating it's not very helpful. Do you count your Macros or at least your calorie intake?
What, no image sigs!
Darklighter
Shas'el
Shas'el

Medals: 19
Gold (3) Silver (2) Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (13)

Postby RotweillerofJustice » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:01 pm

Between 1900 to 2300 per day depending on what training I'm doing.
Typical week of exercise is
Monday: cycle to and from work around 15 miles, 25 min body weight circuit training at lunch then about 3.5 mile interval run in the evening.
Tuesday I generally relax as I'll do between 45 mins to an hour or circuits or running at reserves.
Wednesday is another cycle to and from work15 miles. Another lunchtime circuit training and a 3 mile steady run with boots in the evening.
Thursday: cycle to work again 15 mile round trip. Nothing at lunch. Weight training in the evening.
Friday; run five miles with a day sack to my second job. Work on my feet all and regularly do 19000 to 24000 steps in this job.
Job number one is a driving job and struggle to make 10000 steps on those days.
Saturday: commute to London. Run from water loo to shop carry 35 to 40lb bergen. Sit on arse all day watching CCTV. Then TAB 3 miles from shop to accommodation before doing a run anywhere from 6 to 10 miles depending on where I am in the cycle.
Sunday: TAB back to shop. Sit on arse all day again. Run back to Waterloo with bergen. Commute back home.
Breakfast is either natural yogurt with fruit and honey or wholemeal toast and banana. Snacks during day are generally more fruit and low calorie muesli bars. Lunch is a salad with pasta and protein. Evening meal is often chicken or steak. Steamed veg and potatoes. Other occasional snacks include chocolate or crisps. Low cal sandwich. Or a couple of biscuits. All in all with what I'm doing everything I eat should be negated. Even though I'm not losing weight in know I'm getting fitter because the measures are improving. So I'm at a loss at the mo.
RotweillerofJustice
Shas'ui
Shas'ui

Postby Baragash » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:53 am

I've lost over 15kg this year purely on diet (no exercise at all!).

It was using a specific diet program (Forever Living C9 programme followed by their F1 programme), but the primary tactics of it are cut down salt, saturated fat, sugar and a little bit of calories (in your case topping out at the 1900, for me it was more like 1500).

I have a shake for breakfast, banana for snack, something my wife made (following a yoga nutrition programme as she's training as a yoga instructor) for lunch, apple/dried fruit/biscuits for snack and a normal meal for dinner.
My Hobby Blog!
My Painting & Modelling Blog!
Gallery
"The Emperor is obviously not a dictator, he's a couch."
Starbuck: "Why can't we use the starboard launch bays?"
Engineer: "Because it's a gift shop!"
Baragash
Sorceror
Sorceror

Blog: View Blog (21)

Postby Darklighter » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:11 pm

I'd definitely cut the snacks and pasta. Go for either brown wholegrain rice or stick with a small potato. I'd also cut most of the fruit down to 1 or 2 bit a day (Or one whole banana), there's lots of sugar in it that you don't need. For more vitamins eat green leafy vegetables instead. Also you've not mentioned what you drink.... I'd cut all alcohol (until you hit your target) and cut out your milk from tea and coffee ( or reduce your intake) and drink more water. Remember with a lot of cardio happening your body goes catabolic quickly and your body goes into an emergency state and slows your metabolism. That means you need 500 less calories a day, putting your intake down to 1500-2000 instead of 2000-2500.
What, no image sigs!
Darklighter
Shas'el
Shas'el

Postby RotweillerofJustice » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:48 pm

I don't drink alcohol at all but do have a fair bit of tea. I also drink a lot of zero high five electrolytes tablets.
RotweillerofJustice
Shas'ui
Shas'ui

Postby Darklighter » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:06 am

I'd definitely take a second look at your calories. Even if you have to weigh things out for a few days to get your portions set right. It seems (apart from snacks) that you are doing all the right things for weight loss, so it's got to be a slight over indulgence on the plate. I'd recommend aiming for 1800 calorie maximum a day with your current work out routine and see how that goes for a month. Also remember it only take 80 minuets (on average) for carbohydrates to turn to fat so try to only eat them about an hour before a workout to give an energy boost or within an hour after one to replace glycogen levels. And drink more water.
What, no image sigs!
Darklighter
Shas'el
Shas'el

Postby conscriptboris » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:17 pm

14 years so far in the army myself.

You need to strictly adhere to these disciplines by the sounds of it:

1) anything that is the new diet, ignore, being in the military you need something sustainable and for life.
2) eat five times and day, breakfast, mid-morning, lunch, mid-afternoon, early evening (not after 2000hrs)
3) do not eat crisps, biscuits, haribo stlye sweets etc. If you need some treats, a plain chocolate bar like dairy milk after fitness, small one, couple times a week at max.
4) your meals should consist of oats, chicken, fish, (beef on special occasions), eggs, tuna, salads, veg (lots brocolli, sprouts, cabbage etc).
5) remember high carb foods help you 24hrs later (potatoes, pasta etc), things like nuts and oats help you later (ie oats for breakfast).
6) meals should be the size of your fist, but quality (salad not included in the size).
7) always always always get up and have breakfast early, guess what, you got pt at 0600, well that's breakfast at 0500.
8) if you are starving after fitness and food is 2 plus hours away, have a low calorie, low carb protein shake straight after fitness. Also, always hydrate straight after pt or you will snack.
9) if you follow the above, stick to it, 'it's the weekend' etc will destroy it all.
10) lastly, stop drinking alcohol until you reach your goals.

This has all been written from mind and experience, feel free to ask any questions.

Regards,

Elvis
conscriptboris
Elvis isnt Dead!
Commander

Medals: 1
Painting Entrant (1)
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby RotweillerofJustice » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:21 am

Thanks lads. I've already cut down on breakfast where I'm up mega early. I'll now have a banana and then a proper breakfast at 8am.
I had noticed that my evening meal had started getting later on some days so now I try and keep it as close to 6pm as possible. Just before where I can.
I'm still going for three main meal times with light snacks in between to stave off hunger pangs.
Someone else also mentioned that my body my have got used to my current fitness regime so I've changed it. Gone for a bit more high intensity interval training and circuits and weights. Still plenty of aerobics in there too as l still be cycling and running to and from work.
Ill keep you posted as to how it goes. :-)
RotweillerofJustice
Shas'ui
Shas'ui

Postby conscriptboris » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:04 pm

Good stuff mate and yes, it is essential to change your work out as arnold said 'shock the muscles' change it up every week.

Do 100 squats, then the go for run.

Come off run, straight into 10 sets of 10 press ups etc etc

Keep it up! Heart rate high, muscles burning = job done!
conscriptboris
Elvis isnt Dead!
Commander

Medals: 1
Painting Entrant (1)
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby RotweillerofJustice » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:02 am

Just thought I'd let those of you that commented here how it's going.
Basically. It's not. :-(
Managed to stress my left knee and at this time I've either torn the cartilage again or torn the ligaments. Either way I've been off the major exercise since feb.
Should have a MRI scan soon and hopefully I'll know more then.
RotweillerofJustice
Shas'ui
Shas'ui

Postby Darklighter » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:22 am

Bad news man. It took me years to get over my Ligament and cartilage damage, I hope your injury is a little less serious. I still get trouble now 15 years on.... I feel your pain!
What, no image sigs!
Darklighter
Shas'el
Shas'el