Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

Matt's Ultramarines

For members to post long running threads about projects they are working on

Matt's Ultramarines

Postby mattjgilbert » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:10 am

This is now a general log to track progress of my marines.

OK...just because I have to have lots going on, I thought I'd plan all the bits I want to have assembled and painted up (as a minimum) ready for our meet-up at WHW in August.

Of course having many projects on the go at once means I'm spread thin across them so all of them (CoD, dipping and others not on started as threads yet!) will go in fits and starts.

So my Marines: The gallery page on our website shows what's done so far but it needs a fair bit adding to it to be able to build the variety within lists I'd like to have and to be viable for an Apoc game.

Things I want to do before August:

• I have an assembled Land Raider and Predator from BDA he didn't want any more. I need to replace doors etc with FW bits I have. I also want to take the pred to bits and magnetize the weapon options so I can make variants easily. Both then need (re)painting in my colours. COMPLETE
  • Whirlwind - assembled but needs painting up COMPLETE
  • Vindicator - COMPLETE
  • The one painted Landspeeder I have needs a magnetized assault cannon adding to it. (and the AC needs painting)COMPLETE
  • I have a Landspeeder almost assembled - need to finish it along to magnetized weapon options and paint it COMPLETE
  • I have a Landspeeder I got cheap in ebay in one of my "ebay rescue" projects (like my bikes and one of the dreads). It needs some repairing and the paint-job is terrible so some TLC is needed here (inc the mandatory swappable weapon options). COMPLETE
  • I have two assembled but unpainted attack bikes to do COMPLETE
  • I need at least one more full tactical squad painted up COMPLETE
  • I have a bunch of scouts I need to do COMPLETE
  • I have a dev squad plus extra cannon-fodder guys to assemble and paint COMPLETE
  • Thunderfire Cannon COMPLETE
  • 7 Sternguard COMPLETE
  • AoBR dreadnought COMPLETE
  • Venerable Dreadnought COMPLETE
  • Terminator Assault Squad COMPLETE
  • 6 Scout bikes COMPLETE
  • 3 more sternguard I made up COMPLETE
  • - - - - - - -
  • I have a FW (troop) drop-pod to assemble and paint
  • I GW drop-pod to assemble and paint
  • 10 more marines from AoBR (will be mix of tactical and devs)
  • Various captains + Cato and vet sergs
  • "Old" (pre van/stern guard) vets
  • Plastic command squad
  • More scouts COMPLETE
  • Captain on bike COMPLETE
  • Chaplain on bike
  • 1 more sternguard I made up
  • Marneus and honour guard
Last edited by mattjgilbert on Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:28 am, edited 17 times in total.
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby killmaimburn » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:29 pm

thats a fair chunk of stuff a few quick questions
Are you going to put all the engine bits in your landspeeders back bit (I amazed my lot that I had) if so will you hinge the doors (for typhoon pattern and to show off your big pimped engine)I'm still trying to work out what to do with the doors :oops:
With attack bikes I put them as seperate components ( a bike on a cavalry base, and then mount the side car on a 2"x2" square base to click fit..and also codex future proof a bit) how do you intend to do yours?
Good luck.. I'm hoping to have 1 tank 1squad and 1 charector painted up on top of stuff already done between now and august, but hopes a fine thing I haven't touched my landraider in 3 months 8O .
Last edited by killmaimburn on Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby mattjgilbert » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:36 pm

re: landspeeder... the only one done so far (this one) has hinging doors and engines inside!

The attack bikes are mounted on Dreadnought bases.
Last edited by mattjgilbert on Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby da_grot » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:43 pm

Just got a few things to finish then :lol:

Just want to add I quite like your marines look quite nice compared to my mates flat blue ones.
My Gallery: gallery/da_grot
da_grot
Dead Boy
Slugga Boy

Postby mattjgilbert » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:45 pm

da_grot wrote:Just got a few things to finish then :lol:
And that's not all of them...just the stuff I'd like to get done for the meet up!

da_grot wrote:Just want to add I quite like your marines look quite nice compared to my mates flat blue ones.

Thanks - got quite a 2nd Ed feel to them (bright colours!) I think rather than the latest paint schemes.

I'll try and take some pics tonight of the varios bits and pieces.
Last edited by mattjgilbert on Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby shakey » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:28 pm

smurf
what do mean its got a 4+ INV?
shakey
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Postby killmaimburn » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:11 am

mattjgilbert wrote:got quite a 2nd Ed feel to them (bright colours!) I think rather than the latest paint schemes.

I'm keeping a few of my mates bloodangels 'safe' for him whilst he has nothing to do with the hobby... old old redy orange pastel shades which is really pretty (even though he did leave some areas not even primed) I'm leavig them as they are (not because they are safe in my custody) because of the nice contrasts (and once your talking 50+minis my black with purple and dark blue bits tends to go a bit invisible (can't see the lascannons for the meq)
Watch out tho.. some evil snotling has climbed down that speeders gun barrel. the first time it shoots it will fall off 8O .
I was trained by Ljundhammer to see an undremelled heavy bolter as heresy :lol:
Last edited by killmaimburn on Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Postby mattjgilbert » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:29 pm

sigh...looks like I'm adding drilling and repainting to the list ;)

Here are some pics of the marine pile...not all to be done by august though thankfully:

BDAs LR and Pred which I need to repaint. I'm going to try and make the predator "swappable" this weekend - I'll do some step-by-step shots when I do get round to it.

Boxes of stuff - the drop-pod is in the bag.

Speeder/Dread/Whirlwind in various states of undress

Scouts and the dread-base-mounted attack bikes

Vets and others

CC Termie squad and tac marines

Shambolic speeder rescued from ebay, some scout bikes and a load of advanced space crusade scouts I found the other day :D
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby killmaimburn » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:22 am

Hay that speeder looks in fairly good nick (whats the big terminal prob is it varnished?). Those one pose evil scouts must go though... I found that if you stick them up on ebay with an acceptable 2 tone basic paint job they get nearly as much as the metal nicer scouts get (so a slightly labour intensive trade in effect).
Nice mix of young and old minis (esp the missile launchers, mine are the same)
Don't drill on my account, drill because you can't cope with it now I've pointed it out :lol:
Last edited by killmaimburn on Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barely even lurking..
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Postby mattjgilbert » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:16 pm

The speeder was painted using fingers rather than a brush I think. Some detail is lacking but I think it's repairable.

Those scouts are way at the back of the queue!
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:27 pm

ive always wanted some of those old plastic scouts (ever since i saw them while reading the 2nd ed rulebooks), but i missed my chance. i have no idea what i would use them as, though...

~ Tim
8O :D OMG - Im a Dad - of THREE!! :D 8O
:) I am "LMTRK" on The Wizards Community and MTG Salvation
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General

Postby mattjgilbert » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:21 pm

Is that a hint? ;)
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:02 pm

mattjgilbert wrote:Is that a hint? ;)

might be... if (a) you want to get rid of them and (b) i can think of a use for them.

how easy would it be to file off any Imperial markings?

~ Tim
8O :D OMG - Im a Dad - of THREE!! :D 8O
:) I am "LMTRK" on The Wizards Community and MTG Salvation
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General

Postby mattjgilbert » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:49 pm

They're plastic...so fairly easy I would guess.
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Pimp my pred

Postby mattjgilbert » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:37 am

OK - I took the toolset to the pred this evening and here is the story of what happened...

I brought BDA's donated tanks in from the shed: the pred and the raider with the intention of "sorting them out" this weekend. I opted to deal with the predator first but here they both are ready to go:

First step was to wash all the FW resin bits I wanted to use (purchased ages ago in anticipation) in warm soapy water (to bend some into shape and remove the releasing agent), scrubbing with an old toothbrush. The parts were then rinsed in cold water and left on kitchen towel to dry.

Next, I needed to try to prise apart the existing glued turret. This was my biggest concern and where I could do the most damage. Thankfully, BDA had not melted the plastic together with plastic glue and the super glue snapped apart without too much harm done.

Next I drilled 3mm holes in the two turret weapon options and glued magnets into place
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Next

Return to Project Logs

Social Links