Username:

Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

Han in Carbonite in 1/6 Scale

Han in Carbonite in 1/6 Scale

Postby Spack » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:53 am

To go with the Marmit Boba Fett 1/6 scale figure in my collection I wanted a Han Solo in Carbonite. I've found a few simple 3D models but they don't quite look like Han, and at 1/6 scale any oddities will be pretty noticeable.

I stumbled across some 3D scans of full size Han in Carbonite displays taken with 123D Catch, and realised this would be an ideal source to get a realistic looking 3D model printed. I also found some fairly accurate control panels already in 1/6 scale on Thingiverse, but could find a block that was suitable so modelled my own in Sketchup based on full sized plans found online. I then had to take the Han scan and combine it with the block, and then cut in half so that it could be printed on my colleague's Ultimaker 2+ printer, and I think it's pretty much ready to go. The control panels will be glued on later as this will hopefully provide a better finish.

han carbonite raw00.png
123D Catch scan
han carbonite block00.png
Sketchup block

han carbonite combined01.png
Han and block combined

han carbonite cut 100.png
Block 1 ready to print
han carbonite cut 200.png
Block 2 ready to print
han carbonite control panels00.png
Control panels

All images taken from Meshlab. I used Netfabb Basic to align the block and Han scan mesh, and rescale them to 1/6. Meshlab was used to combine them into a single STL file and simplify the mesh. Netfabb Basic was then used to slice the block across the middle.

Once I've got the parts printed I'll post photos, then get them glued, primed, and painted. It should make a decent companion piece to Boba Fett, look better than the plastic Han from Hasbro, and be a lot cheaper than the Han in Carbonite environment from Sideshow or the upcoming Han in Carbonite stand alone piece also from Sideshow.

Sources:
Han in Carbonite 3d scan: http://www.123dapp.com/catch/Geekbeat-E ... s-/2962779
Block dimensions: http://s222.photobucket.com/user/darthc ... S.jpg.html
Control panels: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:8833

Dan
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Medals: 2
Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (1)
Blog: View Blog (29)

Re: Han in Carbonite in 1/6 Scale

Postby Angelwing » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:54 am

Looks good!
Angelwing
Zoanthrope
Zoanthrope

Medals: 17
Gold (5) Silver (1) Painting Entrant (11)

Re: Han in Carbonite in 1/6 Scale

Postby Spack » Fri May 11, 2018 8:40 pm

I gave up on trying to get this printed, far too many issues with the original 3d files. Ended up looking out for the old Hasbro 12" Carbonite piece that came in the Han 2 pack, and ended up getting a still sealed set for a lot less than this would have cost to make.
Attachments
IMG_20180419_191831128.jpg
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Medals: 2
Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (1)
Blog: View Blog (29)

Return to Action Figures

Social Links