Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

NECA Predators, Iron Man, and more

Re: NECA Predators, Iron Man, and more

Postby timewizard » Sat May 02, 2015 9:14 pm

That really camo out great Dan!
Very nicely done!
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Medals: 11
Gold Wreath (1) Gold (1) Silver Wreath (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby BDA » Mon May 04, 2015 8:31 pm

man i love predators and you have done a wicked job on them :)
BDA
Exarch
Exarch

Postby Spack » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:30 pm

Today my Predator collection grew a little more, with addition of the new Special Edition Jungle Hunter with LED lights. While I already had the unmasked closed mouth version of the original movie Predator i never managed track down a masked version at a reasonable price, but NECA have just released this new edition which fills the hole nicely.

IMG_20160407_154943569.jpg

The paint isn't as good as the original figure, but is better than the later release Gort limited edition figure which is the same figure but with the prototype helmet (later used for one of the background Predators seen at the end of Predator 2).

IMG_20160407_162237.jpg

From left to right: Gort (2011), Special Edition (2016), Closed Mouth original (2010)

The LED lights are great, with the helmet targeting matrix and the gauntlet control panel able to be switched independently. The switch on the gauntlet is a little sticky, but otherwise the electronics work flawlessly. I probably won't have them on much though, although if I get cabinets set up with low voltage lighting I might look at replacing the batteries with feeds from the power supply so the LEDs come on with the display lighting in the evening.

IMG_20160407_160138782.jpg
IMG_20160407_160126677.jpg

I've had to rearrange the figures in the living room and unfortunately Iron Man will have to be moved upstairs, but it's a small price to pay for having the Predator collection feel more complete with such an iconic figure.

IMG_20160407_170257.jpg

Front left to right: Unmasked City Hunter, Masked City Hunter, Closed Mouth Jungle Hunter, Special Edition Jungle Hunter, Dutch
Back left to right: Ram, Gort Jungle Hunter, Elder, Big Red, Guardian

Sorry for the crap phone pics...

NECA have listed the Aliens Warrior 1/4 scale for a June/July release this year, so that will probably be my next addition to the collection as the old NECA "Big Chap" Alien is somewhat outnumbered now. I haven't picked up one of the new Alien Big Chap figures as I didn't see enough difference to warrant replacing the original one.

Dan
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Medals: 2
Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (1)
Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby Big_les » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:15 pm

Sorry for the necro-post (I'd have PM'd but I don't seem to have the option?) but I can't find a 1/4 scale biomask anywhere and wondered if you'd ever uploaded your own version anywhere? I'm not bothered about fitting a mask to my closed mouth figure, but I'd like him to have a detached mask.

Thanks!
Big_les

Postby Spack » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:13 pm

Big_les wrote:Sorry for the necro-post (I'd have PM'd but I don't seem to have the option?) but I can't find a 1/4 scale biomask anywhere and wondered if you'd ever uploaded your own version anywhere? I'm not bothered about fitting a mask to my closed mouth figure, but I'd like him to have a detached mask.

Thanks!

Hi, no worries about bringing this thread back up. The site is kind of dead these days, so any activity is better than none :) PMs aren't enabled until you've had enough post approved on the site, to filter out the spammers - sorry.

I didn't get around to uploading the STL file anywhere, it's not great but if you find it useful feel free to print it. I've attached a ZIP file with it in. It was based off a PDO paper model I'd found somewhere (don't remember where though), I spent a while smoothing and refining it, modified the hose on the left temple and added the cheek connector, and I'd started trying to add interior details. This is the actual STL file I created that was then printed on a Stratasys Fortus 250mc where I work. It'll need some smoothing once it's printed.

Dan
Attachments
biomask_stl.zip
(822.58 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Postby Big_les » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:04 pm

That's very kind of you, thank you! I don't actually have my own printer but hopefully can access one or get it printed online - although obviously if I did that I'd ensure that the model wasn't public :)
Big_les

Postby Spack » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:15 pm

Big_les wrote:That's very kind of you, thank you! I don't actually have my own printer but hopefully can access one or get it printed online - although obviously if I did that I'd ensure that the model wasn't public :)

You can get it printed at Shapeways but it's pricey, althernatively look at http://www.3dhubs.com to get a quote, they tend to be cheaper as a lot of people offering services are individuals with printers at home.

Dan
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Postby Big_les » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:17 pm

Thanks Dan, you are a gent!
Big_les

Postby Big_les » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:42 pm

Without wishing to become a pain in your posterior, I uploaded to Shapeways to see what the damage might be cost-wise and it claims 'These materials are not available for this model size' - possibly because the model is technically in two parts? If this isn't likely to be an issue for 3dhubs I'll just go that route.
Big_les

Postby Big_les » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:01 am

Hmm, having tried 3Dhubs (sorry, should have tried first) it a) seems to work fine (not sure what shapeways' problem was!) and b) comes out pretty reasonably priced. I just need to make up the minimum amount, but I won't sell sell your work even just to make my money back unless you're cool with it. If you decide that you'd rather do a run yourself and sell them with whatever margin on top (I'm sure you have other things you'd rather be doing!) let me know and I will buy one instead.

Sorry for the multiple messages - didn't want you faffing about with the model if only Shapeways is having issues with it.
Big_les

Postby Spack » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:09 pm

No worries about multiple messages. Your posts should be auto approved now and you can send me PMs if you need to.

Shapeways is pretty pricey - I once got a quote for a 1/6 scale Star Wars Emperor's Throne and it was just over £1200! Got a friend at work to print it on his Ultimaker 2 and it was about £5 in material.

I won't be getting any more of these masks printed - it was an experiment at work with a new printer there (I did a 1/4 scale skull and spine too, as the limited edition Gort one is a bit small), and it printed ok but took ages to clean up. Not sure why Shapeways would have an issue with it, although it might be that the hoses inside are a bit small and may not fit together cleanly. I did most of it in Google Sketchup which isn't really that good for printer modelling, and I learnt a lot more after this one. I also got a light up Jungle Hunter which has the mask, I printed this one for the closed mouth original figure I had, and it's just sat on the shelf in front of it now.

If you need to print out a few to make up the minimum I don't have a problem with you selling the extras on.

Dan
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Postby Big_les » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:33 pm

Thanks Dan, and sorry for the delay there. Work got in the way. I will probably get two done via 3dhubs and sell the second.

I will likely not manage to get a masked version/sneak it past the wife (!) so closed-mouth will likely be my only Pred - but at least he will have a cool accessory thanks to your excellent work and gentlemanly conduct in sharing the file with me; many thanks again for that. It's a really nice piece of work too.
Big_les

Postby Spack » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:47 pm

Hope it prints ok. The tubes on the inside might come off as they're really thin, I just stuck mine back on with superglue :)

Post up pics when it get it done, would like to see how you approach smoothing it up and painting it.

My wife bought me most of my Predators, she's a fan too. I'm missing the open mouth and masked originals, and the cloaked hunter, but I've got the rest in the living room. My Star Wars stuff is relegated to the attic for now though ...

Dan
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Previous

Return to Show Off Your Collection

Social Links