Login

Username:

Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

Argh black paint then inks.

Want to show off your painted figures? Got a cool conversion? Need some ideas?

Argh black paint then inks.

Postby killmaimburn » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:42 pm

Ok my loyalist army is fairly black, well nearly all black, I know it shows my noobyness was in control for the core period of making for the hobby,
I've now painted all 100 or so minis of the core forces..and I've got a bit stuck.
The eyes are scorpian green (they are really divergant.. they have a withchunter with a kill switch floating around beside their crusade ship) the shoulder pads are storm blue, which came out far far too dark so then has highlights of enchanted blue over the top.I switched to using liche purple for the shoulder and knee pads because original lighter colours just made themm all look silly and camp.
The guns are black with basic amounts of bolt gun metal on and are then dry brushed gold (the holy weapon of death).
And I've got mid way through going through the army and 'inking' the black , at the join points of the armour.. The crotch the backs of the knees and all the little panel bits, with a really really wet codex grey.(with mixed effect because when your doing 100+ minis the temptation to wash rather than seep in, gets a bit to easy)
I'd like to tone down the startling knees and pads a bit (they are a bit too chrisp)I was thinking about a light drybrush of something towards the scale of white (a halo light effect kind of thing) on the tops..what do your reckon?.. Further more is it enough? I mean with blacks its really quite hard to introduce deatil to the paint at a later date so once I've done these bits they'll all kind of be done I found this but my painting especially percieved lighting angles-- really sucks, which would be easiest and suit the style best (if any) or should I consider something else?
I got through 15 models shoulder trim (whites or gold depending on what regard I gave to the FOC slots)and gave up on that but I'll reapproach it once I've done the grey inking.
As soon as I can find a camera and a model that isn't embarressing I'll give you some real world visual information on the matter.
Last edited by killmaimburn on Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby ruffian4 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:26 pm

I can't paint black to save my life, so can't help much.
The best I have are these reapers who are ok, but a bit grey (like they said in the article). They are 50/50 black + shadow grey, extreme highlighted with shadow.

killmaimburn wrote:If this is a masked ball, then the other bits of him are off spiking the teachers punch.

DEATH WATCH DEATH RATTLE DEATHS DOOR AINT I DIED ENOUGH BEFORE?
ruffian4
4th dan imbecile
Sorceror

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:32 pm

personally i like Deadly Nightshade as a highlight on black - gives it a kinda blue-black sheen. it worked well on Dread armour plates, for example (no pics unfortunately, as i no longer have the models).

its my standard method when painting black armour.

hope that helps :)

~ Tim
8O :D OMG - Im a Dad - of THREE!! :D 8O
:) I am "LMTRK" on The Wizards Community and MTG Salvation
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General

Return to Painting & Modelling - General

Social Links