Username:

Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

40k Counters

40k Counters

Postby Myrmidon21 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:29 pm

Admin note: this was originally posted during 4th edition, but has been reposted as most of the counters are still useful in 5th edition

Having seen a couple of other ‘home-brew’ counters sets for 40K over the years, I liked the idea but not the end results that I’d seen elsewhere. I wanted something that looked good and was also easy to read. So I created this set with those goals in mind.

Care and feeding of your 40K Counters

Tools:
Coated Printer Paper
Card stock (I use the cardstock from GW minis Boxes)
Scissors
Glue stick / Rubber Cement / Spray Adhesive
Contact Paper a.k.a. “sticky backed plastic”

I’ve designed these counters to be printed at 600 dpi (dots per inch) resolution, preferably on coated paper for the best results. You could use the glossy photo paper, but it’s more expensive and not really necessary. (If you’re one of those lucky people that have access to a good printer that can print directly on card stock, then you can skip down to ‘protecting your counters’.) Once you’ve printed out the counters, the next step is to glue them to a sturdy piece of card stock. In my case I used the nice card stock that GW miniatures come in, i.e. the outer boxes that say a squad of Cadians, or a brood of Gaunts comes in. (After all, the costs of the fancy printing and color images on the packaging were passed along to you – you might as well get some use out of it since you paid for it.) I simply cut the box along one edge and unfolded it to lay flat so I could use the larger flat sections to glue the printed counters onto. I then cut my counter sheet in half and trimmed a bit off the edges as needed so that each section would fit on one of the large card sections. Once I was sure of my fit, I glued my counters to the card. As for glue, I used 3M’s ‘Super 77’ – basically spray on rubber cement in a can – but any sort of rubber cement, or glue stick that doesn’t soak the paper and cause the ink on the counters to run would work just fine. The next step once the glue is dry, and *BEFORE* you start cutting out individual counters, is to cover and protect the face of the counters so they aren’t easily ruined. I used what’s called ‘Contact Paper’ or ‘Shelf Paper’ in the States (apparently it's called "sticky backed plastic" to you folks in the UK) – which is basically transparent plastic/vinyl with an adhesive backing. Once I had covered an entire section of counters with contact paper, I then cut out the individual counters and they’re good to go. As long as you don’t soak them in liquid (not that gamers would spill their beverages while gaming…) they should stand up to wear and tear nicely and be good for a lot of games.

Feel free to distribute the 40K Counters set - please just include the readme file. These counters are NOT to be included in 'for profit' works.

I hope these are useful to you,
Myrmidon

Special Thanks go out to: Spack of http://www.ageofstrife.com/ for kindly hosting the Counters, and to all the posters who contribute to the RGMW usenet news group. RGMW's FAQ and articles at http://www.rgmw.org/

Downloads

High Res counters (ZIP format)

High Res counters (RAR format)

Sample Images

Click on each preview image for a larger low-res sample (do not use these samples for printing, download the high-res versions from one of the links above):

Image Image

Image Image
Myrmidon21

Re: 40k Counters

Postby Jimster » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:44 pm

Hi chap and welcome to the shinny upgraded site.

I see all those counters and all i get are epic space marine flash back`s

Nice idea tho!

Jim
Incoming fire has right of way!!!
Jimster
Chosen
Chosen

Postby killmaimburn » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:45 am

They are awesome, I modified mine a bit before printing, I stuck a few "wounds" (top right) onto the bottom left sheet, removed a few and made them a bit larger and have print outs of top left too.
If you print them directly as is.. they are a bit fiddly mid game and can get stuck in crevices of tanks terrain etc, so I recommend (for long term happy use) expanding them from 2.1cm to 2.8 ish cm square, and removing things you never will need (6+ wounds 23 objectives , that many stunneds etc.

I really like them and use them nearly every game. (much more useful than brass rings :P )

(as an alternative some folks may prefer IJW more recent and more apocalypse orientated markers http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost. ... stcount=28 )
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby KInG » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:15 pm

both are great, thx guys
www.GamingFigures.com & http://www.AgeofStrife.com 15% off GW models 10% off FoW & GF9 - extra 1% off orders £100+ & 2% off orders £250+ with FREE UK SHIPPING now added
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Medals: 2
Painting Entrant (2)

Postby Myrmidon21 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:29 am

Hello everyone,

Glad folks like the counters. I'll have to get my lazy butt in gear and do some additional ones for 5th Edition. I'm glad that Killmainburn realized that the counters can be resized (that's why I did them in high resolution) for folks who want them a bit bigger. (One of these days I'll need the bigger version when my eye-sight goes fuzzy on me.) As for not needing the 6+ wound markers - you obviously don't have an 'Evil' Tyranids fiend like me in your gaming group. I occasionally devise something truly nasty with the old Tyranid Design Rules. Which reminds me, I need to sick 'Godzilla' on my fellow 40K players as a surprise during our next City Fight game - the Apoc flamer template ought to be just right for a good radioactive breath weapon. (I've got one of the old Godzilla Tamiya model kits with the 'glow in the dark' bits from the 1980's.) :D

Myrmidon
"Conan, what is best in life?"
"To paint your miniatures, to see them driven before you on the table, and to hear the lamentation of the cheese-mongers!"

- Del Webb
Myrmidon21

Return to Articles

Social Links