Username:

Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

Morty’s Scratchbuild Project Log - Photos

For members to post long running threads about projects they are working on

Postby timewizard » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:11 am

That's shaping up nicely Monty! I especially like the way you placed the extra panel pieces. It's like the ultimate in panel line technology!

As far as the powerpoint help, can't assist you there, yet. I'm trying to work through it to make banners for my SM chapter, so I'm in a bit of a learning curve myself right about now. If I figure out anything re:angles, I'll past it on.

Great work so far on the scratchbuild! Keep it up!

TW
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Medals: 11
Gold Wreath (1) Gold (1) Silver Wreath (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Spack » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:32 am

mortiferum wrote:
Spack wrote:If you need reference photos give me a shout, I've got a few of the Tbolt in my gallery already but I can post more if you want.

Thanks Dan...if its not too much trouble I would appreciate the following reference shots: a head on, rear view and an underside shot. If you could include a ruler within the photo it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

morty

Sorry, missed your reply. I'll post some pics tonight for you :)

There are already some here too: http://www.ageofstrife.com/gallery/Spack28
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Medals: 2
Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (1)
Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby mortiferum » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:06 pm

Spack wrote:Sorry, missed your reply. I'll post some pics tonight for you :)

There are already some here too: http://www.ageofstrife.com/gallery/Spack28

No need for the additional photos - Your gallery seems to show everything I need right now - thanks for linking me there :D

EDIT: a small request - could you measue the overall dimensions for me, specifically: length (nose to tail) and width (wingspan). Many thanks.
Last edited by mortiferum on Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mortiferum
Justicar
Justicar

Postby Spack » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:23 pm

Sure, no problem.

Those pics were posted a while ago for someone else to render a Tbolt in 3d for a school animation project :)
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Postby mortiferum » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:53 pm

The Thunderbolt is nearing completion...

Completed the wings with (as far as I can tell) the correct angle - approx 165

Made the weapon armaments and engine / turbines.

just got to find a suitable 'cap' for the rear exhaust and attach the wings!

I've a horrible feeling (looking at Spacks genuine model, in his gallery) that this Thunderbolt is far too small approx 70% of the genuine model. :(
Last edited by mortiferum on Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mortiferum
Justicar
Justicar

Postby LordMalekTheRedKnight » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:22 pm

mortiferum wrote:I've a horrible feeling (looking at Spacks genuine model, in his gallery) that this Thunderbolt is far too small approx 70% of the genuine model. :(

Just say it is flying higher than the GW version, so looks smaller from the ground! :D :lol:

Seriously mate, it looks awesome, so dont worry about things like that! :)

~ Tim
8O :D OMG - Im a Dad - of THREE!! :D 8O
:) I am "LMTRK" on The Wizards Community and MTG Salvation
LordMalekTheRedKnight
Lord Marmite
Lord General

Postby Spack » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:11 pm

Wingspan: 290mm / 11.5"
Length: 254mm / 10"

It is a big model.

If you're after something to draw with, I can recommend Google Sketchup. It's free, and you can draw in both 2D and 3D. I've been using it to model the garden and rooms in the house to figure out how to rearrange things, but it would be very easy to draw templates with it.
Last edited by Spack on Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Postby killmaimburn » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:06 am

Lush home build WIP, rising resentment,kneejerk jealous bitching insues."you have too much time on your hands" or something.. :)
Did you plasticard those fans with seperate fins,each individually crafted or is their some way of just scoring and deforming a circle to make it "blossom" into the wraparound card?
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby lostandthedamned » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:27 am

LordMalekTheRedKnight wrote:Just say it is flying higher than the GW version, so looks smaller from the ground! :D :lol:

People get away with worse without putting the effort in that you have.

At the last Tempus Fugitives weekend, one player was fielding several aircraft which where represented by Aeronautica Imperialis figures on perspex rod tripods.
Each tripod was made so that the distance between the points on the table was the same measurement as those on the full sized forgeworld figure.

Seeing as he had 2 thunderbolts, a lightning and 2 maurauders in 3K it just seemed a little excessive.
Last edited by lostandthedamned on Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
When you wish upon a star, your dreams can come true.
Unless it's a meteorite falling to Earth, which will destroy all life, then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for.
Unless it's death by meteorite.
lostandthedamned
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant

Postby mattjgilbert » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:33 am

That looks superb and I love the fans. I wouldn't worry about the size - just say it was an early production run or manufactured on a different world to normal. Perhaps it was a limited run of aircraft designed for ace pilots. You built it... it's up to you!
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Thunderbolt

Postby Herne » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:42 am

Talented git! :roll: No - seriously mate - well done! :lol: :wink:
My Gallery: http://www.ageofstrife.com/gallery/Herne

Nightbringer wrote:I like Amy Winehouse` music, although she looks like a Whippet in a bin bag.... 8)
Herne
Occasional brush wielder
Sorceror

Medals: 10
Anvil's Hammer - 1st Place (1) Gold (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)

Postby mortiferum » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:42 pm

Thanks to all for the words of support / justification regarding the model scale. :D

Spack wrote:Wingspan: 290mm / 11.5"
Length: 254mm / 10"

Thanks for the dimensions – yep it’s confirmed my Thunderbolt model is approx 70% the size of the genuine model – that’s annoying but not the end of the world – guess I’ll just have to build another. 8O

I’ve since modified the original template design to help with maintaining a symmetrical construction, whilst there are a few more pieces to cut out it should still be easier to assemble / build (fingers crossed).

The current templates are created and scaled in MS Powerpoint, they’re untested but upon visual inspect they appear to ‘work’ – time will tell… I think I’ve worked out a way of uniformally enlarging the templates to the correct dimensions aswell so I’ll also see how that goes…

Also, managed to borrow an ‘Aeronauica Imperialis’ book and I wondered if you could confirm if the Thunderbolt image on page 36 is a 1:1 scale – it seems to follow your length dimensions but appears to be a little narrower (by about an inch)?

Spack wrote:
If you're after something to draw with, I can recommend Google Sketchup. It's free, and you can draw in both 2D and 3D. I've been using it to model the garden and rooms in the house to figure out how to rearrange things, but it would be very easy to draw templates with it.

Thanks for this – downloaded it already and had a brief play around, checked out a few of the online tutorials – I may have some more questions to follow in the future regarding this software…

killmaimburn wrote: Did you plasticard those fans with seperate fins,each individually crafted or is their some way of just scoring and deforming a circle to make it "blossom" into the wraparound card?

“scoring and deforming a circle” – was the method used – to be honest it was much easier than I had envisioned the task to be.

Simply cut a circle, divide the circle into ‘eighths’ cut along the divisions from the edge towards (but not completely) to the centre. Then using tweezers apply a little twist / pressure to each of the ‘blades’ to shape.

I’ll see if I can make a little tutorial when I build another.
:D

So I went ahead and ordered the panel embossed plasticard for the Chimera / Hellhound tracks...

What do you think?

Morty
mortiferum
Justicar
Justicar

Postby timewizard » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:54 pm

The tracks work, but they are a little plain.
Cutting a bunch of small plastic rectangles and glueing them onto the tracks would be counter to trying to get them done without tedium.
I think once they are painted, they will look fine.
Nice job on the Thunderbolt! Nice to see that scratchbuilding is not a lost or vanishing art!
TW
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Medals: 11
Gold Wreath (1) Gold (1) Silver Wreath (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby mortiferum » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:00 pm

Time for something a little different from me.

All the previous Scarcthbuilds were done using 'someone elses' templates as a base.

This next project (far too many on the go at the same time 8O ) came to fruitition when I discovered (about 5 - 7 days ago?) that MS Powerpoint, (dispite having used Powerpoint for years) - had the ability to allow for scale drawings to be made. I was already making decent progress when Dan informed me about Google sketchup (having insufficient knowledge of this I decided to continue with the 'Powerpoint' method. I'm sure Sketchup will yield better and more rapid results once I work out how to drive it properly!

Bear in mind that the photos following are very early works , constructed rapidly (with paper from printer and sticky tape) to check that my scaling was correctly interpreted, that I was still able to utilise/ apply basic trigonometry correctly and visualise a 3D model in a 2D template / plan. There are a few missing sections 9which i've since corrected but I've got to say I'm very happy with these early results - I'm torn between starting the plasticard construction now or finishing the templates in full, detailing rivets /panelling etc. before starting

Unable to locate decent templates for a Valkyrie - I made my own.

Just had to share the progress :D

Last edited by mortiferum on Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
mortiferum
Justicar
Justicar

Postby General_Lee » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:21 am

fantastic!
Amber twelve... Squig?
General_Lee
Slugga Boy
Slugga Boy

PreviousNext

Return to Project Logs

Social Links