Login

Username:

Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

Someone elses project log (latest WD demons vs guard batrep)

For members to post long running threads about projects they are working on

Re: Someone elses project log

Postby killmaimburn » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:32 am

Yep Mr 6 prides himself on making forgeworld out of office stationary, the plasma blastgun on the warhound is balsa wood around 2 bic pens :), he is our MacGyver XD.

So this whole GT thing, my other thread got no votes and no preferences (apart from two WSers pointing out the shrike list was poop) so thats dead.
List progression.. it started off like this http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195088 (as an honouray to Matt)
I figure its only right that my only attempt in the last few years to adlib is the one I take against the super cheesemasters of super doom!!!.

So after a bit more tinkering its sat looking like this

Captain on bike with relic blade-165

Ironclad dreadnought in drop pod-170

Tactical squad 5man las, 5 man flamer sargent combi flamer rhino- 225
Bike [troop] 8+ attack bike, split 5man fist, 3 man+attack bike- 2 plasmaguns 1 MM (a big change as range was an incredible downer on this unit-cost me the stormshield on the IC) 320

2 Multimelta attack bikes-100
2 Tornados(H.Flamer M.melta)-140
1 Speeder with MM to deepstrike-60

Vindicator-115
Autocannon las sponson predator-120
Whirlwind-85
=1500
So now do I drop the whirlwind and stick in a librarian (much tougher against jetlocks,lash and invulnerable heavy armies as I'd take nullzone and machine curse, much weaker against hordes (orks large pie plate and no cover, and guard in cover) if so where do I get the 15 points extra from ... gah.
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby KInG » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:49 pm

like the list, but u seem a little low on troops choices, even though the bikes become troops too.

my other observation is about your ds'ing sppeder which will have to dodge a round of shooting 1st, before it fires at its target... a 3rd attack bike would be cheaper and give u 10points towards ur librarian :)

There are alot of MM and flamers in this list, which Hestan would make all then more potent too.
www.GamingFigures.com & http://www.AgeofStrife.com 15% off GW models 10% off FoW & GF9 - extra 1% off orders £100+ & 2% off orders £250+ with FREE UK SHIPPING now added
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Medals: 2
Painting Entrant (2)

Postby mattjgilbert » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:10 pm

You'd lose the bikes as troops though then wouldn't you?

What is more likely at the GT? Ork hordes or lash etc.?
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby KInG » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:19 pm

Yes hestan would have to be an addition, not a replacement. Note sure where those points would come from though ;)

Unfortunately Matt, both were popular at the last event.
www.GamingFigures.com & http://www.AgeofStrife.com 15% off GW models 10% off FoW & GF9 - extra 1% off orders £100+ & 2% off orders £250+ with FREE UK SHIPPING now added
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby killmaimburn » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:12 am

KInG wrote:my other observation is about your ds'ing sppeder which will have to dodge a round of shooting 1st, before it fires at its target., which Hestan would make all then more potent too.

:lol: King hasn't faced DSing MM speeders :?:
You DS at cruising speed, it is a fast vehicle (unlike drop pods) you land (in your turn having not been shot) you shoot, you pop a landraider..woo 5x points back.(its my little flurry with luck)
Yes the list would could be better if I dropped the 10 man bike squad and stuck hestan and a 10 man squad of crap scouts in for a second troops choice.. But everyone and their goat is taking hestan,

I just can't find the points- at the mo its looking like the only viable option is
dropping combi flamer, dropping whirlwind (halving my anti horde, anti tau guns)and dropping lascannon down to MM in the tactical.
Which would give me a razorback with a 5 man 1 flamer babysitting libby , 5 man MM to defend base, probably moving up on the first turn (doomed if dawn of war).
That just seems to darned costly to handle all those bloody jetlocks. :cry:
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Postby Ljundhammer » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:50 am

You need more points...
When in deadly danger
When beset by doubt
Run in little circles
Wave your arms and shout
- parody of the litany of command
Ljundhammer
Brother-Captain
Brother-Captain

Re: Someone elses project log (now with added GT!!)

Postby killmaimburn » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:54 pm

Been a while, trying to actually paint 1500 is alot easier than trying to paint 8000points simultaneously :D
Pics of my army ready for GT (nearly)
I need to do some work on the faces.. and there is still some grey lining to be done but this is basically it.(but I finally got a termie teleport homer and wodged it onto of the drop pod (which had been kindly painted by Mr6)
Remember folks these are shrunk thumbnails you need to click on them to see them in their majesty (well almost :oops: waves fist in air at people who can paintImageImageImageImage)
yes the combi flamer is still bluetacked onto sargenet fabius clone, and so are the speeder weapons..
but generally I'm thinking its table ready and just needing a few touches here and there..Can anyone spot anything not GT table legal about it as it stands?
Now I just need to set about filling in all those bloody forms :evil: :lol:
Barely even lurking..
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Postby mattjgilbert » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:20 pm

I reckon an hour spent doing all the bases and making them consistent will really help bring it all together. It is looking good though :)
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby killmaimburn » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:50 pm

Ahh man you spotted, yes.
Obvious one, green biker (I tried basing the web way, thin layer of glue on base apply sand shake off) looked like someone blew their nose. 2 Bikes currently just have crappy fluff on..1 Model at front (bolter) was already based with tiny rocks and painted green just needs to be brought into line..
The rest I did in the style reckomended by Mr6, mixing glue water and sand and then using a brush to apply that (then adding bits of slate and battle debris for effect).. but the sand came out rather thin (and if I do it over the top it will form a smooth rather than rugged layer(gah).
So i figure take chisel to bad bike, and bring other 3 models into line and just live with the fact the rest of them is how I can base :( (and thats 2 guides 4 sample models and 7 attempts down the line :( )
Barely even lurking..
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Postby mattjgilbert » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:22 pm

For sanded bases:

Paint the base top brown.
Paint undilluted pva on to the base. Dip in sand and gently push down.
Leave to dry.
Wash sand with thinned pva (milky). This binds it together.
Paint in brown, drybrush etc.
Add blobs of pva and static grass if you need to.

I've never had an issue with sand coming off of not covering like this.
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby timewizard » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:51 pm

This is how I do it, with the exception that I don't wash the sand with the thinned PVA. I find the glue I use holds the base material down just fine.
However, this could be because I don't use normal white pva, I use a wood glue called Titebond. It is carpenter's glue, and I always have it on hand due to my woodworking and home remodel projects. I find for basing that it holds the sand better than white glue.
Might be worth a try.
Also, I don't paint on a real thin coat, I lay it on pretty thick. (The glue, that is :D )
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Medals: 11
Gold Wreath (1) Gold (1) Silver Wreath (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Angelwing » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:54 pm

I agree with the bases. I'd also get all the bikes onto the new bases and take the attack bikes off of the the square base pedestals and have them just on the round bases.
Angelwing
Zoanthrope
Zoanthrope

Medals: 17
Gold (5) Silver (1) Painting Entrant (11)

Postby mattjgilbert » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:08 pm

I use evostick wood glue.
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby KInG » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:43 pm

i also use one think coat to base then dip in sand. the paint helps hold the sand also which i paint on watered down to get into the sand, then dry brush over top with a lighter colour.

as for ur bases, throw them away ;) burn them, get dave to do them, hell i'll help ya, send me them. :D

bases all the same, rounded in the w40k style and all painted the same, will make ur army come together very very well.
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Painting Entrant (2)

Postby Socaddict » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:57 am

I generally do the texturing of the bases before sticking models to them. I use a mixture of gravel and sand, and stick those on b using poly cement (the gel stuff, not the liquid). This causes the texture to essentially fuse with the base, so it isn't going anywhere fast.

I then paint over it all with bestial brown, a brown or flesh ink, some lighter brown drybrush, up to bleached bone or similar, then glue some static grass on with some superglue.

example can be seen quite nicely in gallery2.php?g2_itemId=3645 with both a before and after painting stages both visible.
Waaargh.
Orks project log here
Socaddict
Mekboy
Warlord

Painting Entrant (2)

PreviousNext

Return to Project Logs

Social Links