Login

Username:

Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

Someone elses project log (latest WD demons vs guard batrep)

For members to post long running threads about projects they are working on

Re: Someone elses project log (now with added GT!!)

Postby killmaimburn » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:25 am

Man.. that was 6 hours of pink lining that purple that just got ignored right there :cry:
Angelwing wrote:I agree with the bases. I'd also get all the bikes onto the new bases and take the attack bikes off of the the square base pedestals and have them just on the round bases.

The click fit system(previously illustrated somewhere) only works on the square bases :lol: ..I've only borrowed the round bases 8O (and I've been pushing the limits of my markers).. and I've used up mine and my colleagues collections of rectantular and "new" bases :evil: .. Its tourny legal to use the bases the models came with :D So I'm not going to do that. :mrgreen:
I thought I'd asked for basing tips around here previously (&*%&* search engine is vaguey vagueness..) meh..it ended up with me following MR6s advice again (and although a pro painter I'm fairly sure the tips he gives are the opposite of what one should do.. eg when he told be to ink ceramic red genestealers with blue which was the last time I tried to paint nids)
I'll try some of the methods you guys have suggested with my next 1500 points (this army can have the name of the pro websites I took the tips for basing from :evil: )..taken a chizel to the snotty 2 pva glue layer has taken the hour that matt allotted to the whole task and its still not ready to rebuild.(you know sand and glue, its a bit like iron girders wrapped in concrete...they create a complimentary strength thats a *%*%*&*fu6^ to correct) and due to his almost dynamic pose of skid he's pinned in 4 places so whatever happens to the sand..will likely have to happen to the paint job too.

I think i'll just ignore you guys and spend the remaining 6hours I have available over the next 5 weeks shading the headlights and giving them faces :P
If I ignore this thread long enough I'll begin to think my models are pretty again.. I know I'll dip my models in dipper, I haven't got any around at the moment but I have just whipped up a batch of latex levelling compound to glaze off the conservatory (still not totally finished- never use everest)..I'll just tip my army in there to add tone... back in a mo.
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby KInG » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:51 am

:o

omg. toby that will melt them! ;)

why do uonly have 6 hours to spare for painting over next 5 weeks. I did more than that yesterday, while building my extension, and working a 70 hour week last week.
www.GamingFigures.com & http://www.AgeofStrife.com 15% off GW models 10% off FoW & GF9 - extra 1% off orders £100+ & 2% off orders £250+ with FREE UK SHIPPING now added
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Medals: 2
Painting Entrant (2)

Postby killmaimburn » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:01 am

Meh.. you say burn,, I say melt.
70 hours... you light weight..
I work a 91 hour week (including but not limited to 50 miles ,of walking/ferrying groups of children around (min 8.8m per day lifts)), not counting trying to fix incompetant builders, and training aggression out of kitten who currently has decided that the only emotion is khorne based, stopping kitten + cat war..and tidying up after better half who works a 70 hour week..and posting here for you :lol:
(and I have to pay for the lump of coal I get hit with too, and wake up 12 hours before the sunrises. :lol: )

(seriously I'm so much happier I'm raising my kids, a new batch of 'professional' carers/nannies have turned up to our (I'm 50% of the organisers) play group this year..given 5 minutes 3 of them couldn't think of a (as in 1) nursery rhyme between them. ( :roll: seriously :roll: WTF??)
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Postby Angelwing » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:48 pm

killmaimburn wrote: The click fit system(previously illustrated somewhere) only works on the square bases :lol:

I mentioned it because the square bases on top of round bases looks a bit naff. I can't remember what this click fit thing is TBH.
Angelwing
Zoanthrope
Zoanthrope

Medals: 17
Gold (5) Silver (1) Painting Entrant (11)

Postby mattjgilbert » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:31 pm

My 1 hour was to get all the bases consistent (thinking same colour edges and same flock/grass on top). Sanding all that lot will take longer (plus you have drying time).
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby killmaimburn » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:44 pm

2pages ago-Bottom of page 4 (and other places but the search engine here is poopy)
Gahh I only added the round bases because some vets said that GTs attract that 0.01% of people who make up rules about bases and nit pick..Ho Hum.. I guess constructively adding bases has ended up needing something doing.. (as written elsewhere I'll steal stuff from the hammers big friend)
Since everything fell apart inc half the paintwork I figured I'd make a clicky version a bit lower down so each attack bike has had 2 bases (1 cavalry 1 square) removed..and replaced by rocks
Pics taken mid way through the painting fixs..

Now back to making that snot green one ready to be rebased wields chisel (or pouring flock over everything- wields bucket)

(latex layer in conservatory didn't work..was odd.. far too thick needed skimming like wallplaster..all went a bit wrong..needed pulling up before it bonded..gah)
4 hours dedicated time left
Barely even lurking..
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Postby killmaimburn » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:06 pm

Rather than making everything look like fungus the bogey man attacked or killing minis with over grassing.. I took the chisel to the silly hard models, and the semi flocked ones.. I then repainted the bases black so that the edge trim is the same colour (that felt really really odd)
So now back to a state where I can start basing them and the attack bikes.. I was blessed with dylan screaming himself to sleep after the MMR so I actually gained 10 minutes to the clock despite it taking an age (unpinning that C785t was a right *(^8953bghdey tard uin the 7856078347 hnfb hail with a shovel) :D
Next step is to do the same glue mix with slate and battlefield debris as with the others for consistency.
I should have about 4 hours to do faces and headlights and whatnot.. I don't think I'll have enough time to greyline now.. but its not like anyone noticed the pink lining so I figure no one will miss it.
Barely even lurking..
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Postby KInG » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:46 am

looking much better now KMB :)

but if u wanna be uber cool... ;) take a 25mm round base, cut it in half, (well almost, u do 2 cuts, leaving a piece about 5 mm wide as waste), then stick the two semi circles to the ends of ur square bike bases. Then cover and flock, u'll never know they weren't round bike bases.

tip: your cuts need to be angled slightly inline with the sloping edge of the square base.
www.GamingFigures.com & http://www.AgeofStrife.com 15% off GW models 10% off FoW & GF9 - extra 1% off orders £100+ & 2% off orders £250+ with FREE UK SHIPPING now added
AoS_GF moderator
KInG
Archon
Archon

Medals: 2
Painting Entrant (2)

Postby killmaimburn » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:18 am

Bloody hell, does anyone have any tips they don't want to give me two days too late?
You can see that they are freshly glued down, with a pile of rocks and crap under them to hold them up..i just spent any time I had to breathe yesterday baseing into and around them, so they wouldn't fall off..no I'm not tearing all that lot off chisselling again then snapping someone elses base in half just to remount them on the square bases they were originally on..[vast amounts of swear words removed by haxxors]

Oh well this thread has been used for advertising ad pants..and now appears to be tutorials for everyone else,bar me, on how to base... right what king is refering to is something that could have been mentioned to me..before folks started saying sh1t looked naff and needed to be burned and I had to blah blah blah blah
heres a link for anyone else getting shit for their bases on how to do what king just said
http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Basin ... _Bike_Base

Long live dakka a sensible place with useful guides and sensible members
Barely even lurking..
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Postby Ljundhammer » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:37 am

Wow, way to take constructive critisism 8O :o :( :cry: :lol:

The bases look fine as is, much better than before, and tourny legal as far as I can tell.

How many faces do you have to do? Here's a tutorial for you http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthrea ... aint+faces

Not much left to do is there?
When in deadly danger
When beset by doubt
Run in little circles
Wave your arms and shout
- parody of the litany of command
Ljundhammer
Brother-Captain
Brother-Captain

Postby killmaimburn » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:41 am

Meh they were tourney legal as they were, and arguably so with just the square bases.. as no base is supplied and it is an appropriate size and configuration for the bases they sold with their product..
I just figured folks saying they needed to be burned and were naff meant I had to not fix other stuff and give it priority.
I've added more purple to the front wing ding bits of the bikes.. I've also torn off the wing dingy steering coloumn which had feathered IC wings on off the normal bike and scratplasticarded a mock up one that looks more like the rest..
But I'm totally spent.. this is the crappest bit of the hobby.
Last edited by killmaimburn on Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barely even lurking..
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Postby cgra1 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:44 am

Seeing as everyone else is offering advice, I thought that I would ask for some, I’m also taking Attack Bikes, X3 but have not based them. Do you think id get away with it or would you recommend basing them to save on arguments?
cgra1

Postby Ljundhammer » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:08 am

Honestly, I'd base them. It just stops any potential arguments. Mine are on 40mm bases, but it looks crappy & they hang off all overthe place, KMBs 60mm bases are much better.
When in deadly danger
When beset by doubt
Run in little circles
Wave your arms and shout
- parody of the litany of command
Ljundhammer
Brother-Captain
Brother-Captain

Postby cgra1 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:13 am

60mm bases it is then.
Give me something to do seeing as i panic painted my entire army in a month (Beams Smugly at King)
cgra1

Postby killmaimburn » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:19 am

I went to upload these pics I took last night ( :evil: stupid camera has proprietry only driver that mashes stuff up :evil: (nice camera other than that) so I only use it on the base unit upstairs)….1step forwards..two steps back, painting last night, Brood queen must have let the kitten into the office where all my 40k stuff is currently stored whilst we wait to find a decorator..

Stuff that only needed to be picked up
painted AOBR dreadnought, nice blue tzeentchy demon prince (not the dragon one), 5 books

Stuff that needed reglueing and now needs some one better than me to paint and fix up
Dragonell..yes you heard that right LH.. Dragonell got taken out by my kitten and wife combo.
Also my painted defiler but I’m a crap painter.. so I can fix my own crap paint jobs and re glue it fairly easily..

Scary thing…she was jumping for the (scratch) forgeworld shelf/scratching post of titaness

I haven’t found anything else dead yet.. but nobody told me, and its very very cramped in here.. so other stuff could have shattered and flown under the guitar or filing cabinety bit or something..
I believe the modern parlance is
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU.

Anyway heres the pics of the bikes as they stood last night at 11,click to expand and then click to expand them in the gallery properly :? .ImageImage
Barely even lurking..
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

PreviousNext

Return to Project Logs

Social Links