Password:

Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

Chaos release isn't awesome.

Discussion of anything 40K related

Chaos release isn't awesome.

Postby Baragash » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:52 pm

Woah... the Chaos Codex sucks total balls.

EDIT: lol @ title of split topic
Last edited by Baragash on Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Hobby Blog!
My Painting & Modelling Blog!
Gallery
"The Emperor is obviously not a dictator, he's a couch."
Starbuck: "Why can't we use the starboard launch bays?"
Engineer: "Because it's a gift shop!"
Baragash
Sorceror
Sorceror

Blog: View Blog (21)

Re: 40k, who stuck with it?

Postby killmaimburn » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:11 am

Its alright, its just not phenomenal.. its basically what 4th ed should have been (as they said in their design brief,which is odd because it puts us a generation behind).Its not a Matt Ward Chaos have destroyed every universe since the concept of dimensions came into being except this one and every single spiky marine is a ultramarine primarch gone bad.

It succeeds my criteria of can it still be playable without having to buy totally new shiny things (which is shared vocally by many people in this thread).. most of the old stuff bounces up (prices down) with the new stuff..with the exception of the defiler, fabius bile, thousand sons,.. (hellbrute, landraider ,mutilator and beserkers aren't in that pile, but nor are they overwhelming l33t)

It puts in a few new things to replace crap demons/who have been fixed by allies (which are specifically referenced in points in the codex/e.g. dimension key)

Beyond that,having actually played 6th ed and it being designed to sit on it, I can't make many more comments because it all comes down to how that boon table works in game.(which I've been warning peeps for months may make it THE non tourney codex-due to heads I win tails I lose itus)..some people playing have had 3 demon princes and 4 spawn generated..others have been a bit more maths readable- silly point some folks are talking about..you can have your kitted out demon prince turn into a demon prince (loses upgrades)hopefully they'll add a dark apothesis restriction.. and apparently abbadon has only ever killed 8 non-grunts.. because on the 9th maths on he'd have become a DP.

I'm loving the spawn fix and will be playing 5 nurgle spawn bodyguard obviously..because.. chaos. flibble squaw sucky sound.
HQs- Alright
Elites- not the best.. esp when you mess around with who can score using your HQ.
Troops- ok same as ever really +blob spam without having to give into the dark side of vendettas which stops me taking demons. (relies quite overtly on demon allies e.g. 5 horrors,bolt and a herald chariot- 160 to flesh it out)
FA- lovely- but mostly just cos of points.. (and they can score in 1/6th missions or if they have the right warlord traits..e.g outflanking slanessh)
Heavy- sexy (apart from defiler..why defiler oh why..yes it can hull down easily and ignore 1/3rd of shots after that but still it blatantly was just put in at that price as a push for fiendplas spam..which is the only epic fail.)
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
World of ME First try at Apoc Batrep WHAT/WHO is AOS?
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Chaos release isn't awesome.

Postby Ljundhammer » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:55 am

I've not had tiome to properlly sit down and get to know it... intimately.

But it looks very good to me...
When in deadly danger
When beset by doubt
Run in little circles
Wave your arms and shout
- parody of the litany of command
Ljundhammer
Brother-Captain
Brother-Captain

Postby BANE » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:10 pm

Every choas player I know seems happy with it, Sami I think you are too far gone with GW to be happy with with anything they do.
BANE
Captain
Captain

Postby Stryder » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:56 pm

Agreed with bane if you are already angry at a company for any reason nothing they ever do (be it good or bad will make you happy and besides let the rest of us read it before we all go flame war crazy :-)
Stryder

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Red Devil » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:10 pm

It might be a good thing it's not amazing. Recent books have been too amazing. Maybe this is the start of GW making things more balanced/less creep (we can at least hope!?).

It's just a shame (for chaos players) that this book gets hit with the fair stick first??
Red Devil
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant

Postby BANE » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:12 pm

I wasnt saying it as a negative, I know Sami has found gaming happiness elsewhere, I can't see anyone been happy with a system when they compare it to something they are happy with, much like me with 40k/FoW.
BANE
Captain
Captain

Postby Baragash » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:16 pm

Then you haven't looked very widely.

I don't hate GW itself anyway, most of my issue is with it's corporate strategy. I want to like 40k, I really do.

I'm entitled to find a release lazy, uninspiring and I believe the phrase "phoned in". It's full of questionable, and frankly quite baffling design decisions, and not full of flavour, which is GW's strongest (and at the rate it's going, only) selling point.

@Phil: I'm not even really talking about power.
My Hobby Blog!
Gallery
Baragash
Sorceror
Sorceror

Postby killmaimburn » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:21 pm

Baragash wrote:EDIT: lol @ title of split topic
I just wanted to split it and give it a title that reflected your post..would you prefer something else? :D

(bane=every chaos player I know is happy with it)
Baragash wrote:Then you haven't looked very widely.
Well you do frequently compare the wider gaming websites negatively, expecting bane to have taken in more than local opinion is a tad demanding :D
..Warseer seems to give it about a 7.5 ish at the mo.
And 3++ sets out from the premise of "It remains to be seen just how good it is, but it’s certainly competitive with existing armies."(and after describing the duffs is full of unit combo and synergy praise.. http://www.3plusplus.net/2012/10/3053/
BOLS frontpage is positive (but given its place in community it has to be).. Dakka forums are stil Q+A teasing from what I could see.

Prior to codex getting near the shelf stelek was throwing around teasers like "necrons will just die" and then the next day "chaos will outshoot anything".
Whilst in no way do I deny some people out there give it a 1/10.. vast amount of webage appears to be relatively happy with it.

Apparently there are some terrible grammer mistakes in the khorne fluff which are making peoples head explode like in the bit in scanners (and I listed a couple of raw pains).. but I don't think its a 4 reprints job or a hollow souless husk= good enough for me to mess around with.
Baragash wrote:I want to like 40k, I really do.
#tryharder :lol: :wink:
Barely even lurking..
ruffian4 wrote:Handy fellow, this kmb...Like Ahriman delving the paths of the webway ...
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Postby Baragash » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:55 pm

As someone who had the "pleasure" of studying social statistics at uni, I can only say that poll is meaningless as a barometer of opinion because it's so ill-defined :P But I dropped a "3" in anyway ;)

I have actually read topics on multiple boards, and demographic mix aside, I found plenty of people who hold similar views to the one I got after reading it last night (FYI I read virtually no rumours or "here's what it's like" topics prior to reading the Codex myself ;) )
My Hobby Blog!
Gallery
Baragash
Sorceror
Sorceror

Postby killmaimburn » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:19 am

Baragash wrote:As someone who had the "pleasure" of studying social statistics at uni, I can only say that poll is meaningless as a barometer of opinion because it's so ill-defined :P But I dropped a "3" in anyway ;)

As you have seen (this involves other threads viewers) I second guessed your corrupting negativity and preemptively counteracted it showing a deeper cynisim of social statistics generally. I got to do some godawful follow on modules on faking body language and whatknot..(qualifying law degree with bolt ons of ridiculous modules, the holy trinity of ambulance chaser, HR slasher and social worker were all opportunities I passed up :D )
(But if we win, we can just take the booth and set up so they don't have bullets in those guns their holding now, right ted?)

Its hard to avoid Stelek' s judgements, anyone whose read his blog knows what I mean.
Barely even lurking..
killmaimburn
Now Vanus Clade

Postby Baragash » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:27 am

Sure, but having read plenty of Stelek's suggested rules changes in the past, flavour is of little interest to him (or he doesn't understand it).

Apparently it's of little interest to GW too.
My Hobby Blog!
Gallery
Baragash
Sorceror
Sorceror

Postby Stunty » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:18 pm

First impressions its a great codex. lots of great artwork, and its packed full of fluff. The rules are looking good. Im not a chaos marine player but I'm glad I bought it. Really impressed with GW this yr
Stunty
Destroyer
Destroyer

Postby Stryder » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:32 pm

IAgreed codex looks great..loving unit composition now making it easier to work out units
Stryder

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Baragash » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:19 pm

BANE wrote:Can you not take a nurgle commander which then allows nurgle units as troops, and same such for the other the gods? Like I say mate I don't know the choas fluff any deeper than the HH, I would image that GW are also limited as to what they could add that doesn't conflict withs FW new HH series.

Terminators, bikers, havocs, vehicles, jump pack troops, chosen? Switching Plague Marines to troops is just like saying "take the marine codex, allow assault squads as troops and you've got a Blood Angels army".

GW design studio has primacy over FW, according to FW.
My Hobby Blog!
Gallery
Baragash
Sorceror
Sorceror

Next

Return to 40K Discussion