Remember me

Forgot Password?

Merchandise

AOS Painter of the Month Competition - April 2013

Re: AOS Painter of the Month Competition - April 2013

Postby darkgod » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:29 am

ok heres a try at posting a picture

ImageImageImage

as you can see im using the ravenwing command set to create hopefully three of these jetbikes for the comp but if not it'll b this one painted lol
darkgod
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant

Medals: 1
Silver (1)

Postby timewizard » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:59 pm

Very good darkgod.

I'll put you in the competition entry section.

Two points though;

1-It's best if you specify what your entry is. In this case, is it the entire command set or just one bike? If you specify the entire command set and only get one finished, it's okay to enter just the one.

2-Is the book that's sitting on the bike part of the model or of the entry? If so, refer back to the rules. Entries must be unpainted or at best, only primed. If the book is just for picture purposes, that's fine. If it is going to be part of the final entry, in future make sure that all parts of the entry comply with the rules.
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Medals: 11
Gold Wreath (1) Gold (1) Silver Wreath (1) Bronze (2) Painting Entrant (6)
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby darkgod » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:45 pm

hi i plan to paint the entire squad of jetbikes for the competition, bike two is almost finished and number three is framework only at the mo but wont take long to make, as i said if i only get one painted and finished that will be the entry.

as for the book on the bike yes it is part of the model that i had in my bits box from a previous model i ripped to bits, the paint on that part will not be the finished look, when i spray the ENTIRE model black all that paint will not be there and so would that conform to the rules?
darkgod
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant

Medals: 1
Silver (1)

Postby timewizard » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:06 pm

Yes, that will be fine.

I don't want you to get the wrong impression here. We're not trying to be difficult or give anyone a hard time, we just want this contest to be fair and square so that everyone has an equal chance.

That's why the rules were actually tweaked a bit between the first and second contest.

Glad to see you enter. Good luck to you!

TW
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Postby mattjgilbert » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:28 am

I'll try and do this for next month. I have a chaplain on a bike I pick up in a trade on here ages ago (2 years?). It's assembled and undercoated black and that's how I received it. Would it be a valid entry?

It might mean I actually paint it :p
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby Socaddict » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:29 pm

Adding to my entry - going to try and get a PSC firefly completed as well, in a bit of a mini diorama.

Waaargh.
Orks project log here
Socaddict
Mekboy
Warlord

Medals: 2
Painting Entrant (2)

Postby Spack » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:30 pm

mattjgilbert wrote:I'll try and do this for next month. I have a chaplain on a bike I pick up in a trade on here ages ago (2 years?). It's assembled and undercoated black and that's how I received it. Would it be a valid entry?

It might mean I actually paint it :p

For me personally I think it's fine, as the black undercoat would count as a primer. It's up to Talus and Timewizard though (going to have to come up with a shorter way to reference them; T&T? T&TW? TW&T? ...)

If it's not, then about 50% of my marines just became ineligible to ever be entered ...
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Bronze (1) Painting Entrant (1)
Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby ageofwar » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:33 pm

Hi,

Here is the picture:

IMG_0777.jpg

The broken propeller that I said last time is being moulded by Spack so it will be done once the liquid plastic has dried.

Scale: 1/72

EDIT BY SPACK: details of the propeller repair can be seen here: blog/Spack/172_bf_109_propeller_repair_b-147.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ageofwar on Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like this website :)

My Gallery

Spack wrote:Welcome to the forum :) Be gentle with him, he's my son!
ageofwar

Postby Spack » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:35 pm

And here's the figure I'll be entering, a German infantry 1/72 scale Airfix figure. I'll be trying to put more detail on this than I've ever done on a GW figure. 8O

IMG_0768.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Postby Talus » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:40 pm

looks to be a good entry ageofwar! look forward to seeing what you can do with it

are you planning traditional WW2 colours? or a dazzling pattern of your own?

Spack, re the primed bike, ive sent message to timewiz asking about it, personally im of the opinion that if the primer is totally different from the final colour, it can enter (please note that isnt a definitive answer on priming, we're still working out the kinks in it), but since its black leading to black... we're talking it over

though thinking, matt, you got anything else you could prime it with? i know its a pain but it would solve the black to black issue as far as im concerned =)

as for how to refer to wiz and myself, to quote him, we're the reformed T.W.A.T! (Time Wizard And Talus) :P

T & T works though :D
Talus
Sir Hack'n'Slash!
Chief Justice

Medals: 25
Anvil's Hammer - 3rd Place (1) Gold (3) Silver (3) Bronze Wreath (1) Bronze (5)
Painting Entrant (12)

Postby mattjgilbert » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:56 pm

Why on earth would I prime it in another colour just to colour it black again? That's insane (and will lose detail).

If it's ineligible (because it wasn't me that assembled or sprayed it) then fine, I'll find something else; but having to re-prime it twice to count as valid seems daft.
mattjgilbert
BladeDancer
Daemon Prince

Postby Spack » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:49 pm

Talus wrote:as for how to refer to wiz and myself, to quote him, we're the reformed T.W.A.T! (Time Wizard And Talus) :P

T & T works though :D

I think I'll go with TW&T - it's pretty much T.W.A.T. but is shorter and I can get away with it with my son viewing the forums :P
Spack
I R Ginger
Field Marshall

Postby timewizard » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:35 pm

TNT will work for the 2 of us. Stands for Time Wizard 'N' Talus or Talus 'N' Time Wizard making us virtually interchangeable. It's also quicker and easier to type (and I need all the help I can get at typing! :) )

ageofwar and Spack have been added to the list of entrants and socaddict's Sherman firefly has been added as well.

@ Matt - The primed model will be fine. While we would prefer that all entrants do all their own work from start to finish, we did state in the rules that primed models would be valid entries.

Some modelers prime in a different base color than the finished model (i.e. prime black and paint in blue or red) while others prime in a base coat color. My tanks last month were primed olive drab and then oversprayed with camo green.

So bottom line is if you buy a model from somewhere else, and it was pre-assembled and pre-primed, it would be a valid entry. It would be ridiculous to require someone to strip the prime off it to re-prime it. What would be next, requiring that a partially assembled model be broken back to bits and be reassembled?

This is intended to be a fun completion aimed at;
getting members here to get some modeling and painting done
giving the site members a place to show off their best work
get some prizes to be given away as rewards for all the hard work
and hopefully get some new members into the site.

We just want the contest to be as fair as possible to all. I believe we are achieving that so far. And this would be a good place to thank everyone for their input and idea and please keep them coming. We're still mulling over Spack's suggestion for a blind entry system! More on that in future.

Hope this wasn't too long winded, but I also hope it clears things up a bit!

Cheers!
TW
timewizard
Master of Chronomancy
Field Commander

Postby ageofwar » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:45 am

Update:

The Bit For The Propeller Well... It Broke Because It Did Not Dry Out Properly.
I like this website :)

My Gallery

Spack wrote:Welcome to the forum :) Be gentle with him, he's my son!
ageofwar

Postby ruffian4 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:11 pm

Talus wrote:as for how to refer to wiz and myself, to quote him, we're the reformed T.W.A.T! (Time Wizard And Talus) :P

What!? What!? Is this hospital St. Crock of shi*?

If you are to adopt such iconic nomenclature, I hope TW is aware that the ceremony necessary now includes the stipulation that the potato must be revolving at precisely 15 revolutions per minute and that, since the ancient papyrus of halaaalaapoopoolaaa has been identified as a fake, the greasy wombat is no-longer ordnance.

Thankyou.
killmaimburn wrote:If this is a masked ball, then the other bits of him are off spiking the teachers punch.

DEATH WATCH DEATH RATTLE DEATHS DOOR AINT I DIED ENOUGH BEFORE?
ruffian4
4th dan imbecile
Sorceror

PreviousNext

Return to Competitions

Social Links